Bandcamp joins....Epic Games?

Hardly surprising.

No-one plays Fortnite anymore, and that cow is all they’ve got to milk.

3 Likes

A fairly sad reality is the way companies practice the unethical right up until the point where it is illegal and then make a grand to do about how pious they are towards ethical practices.

I feel that it’s similar to the way companies try and get your money by telling you how “green” their shipping department is and other such practices, only doing things for the sake of appearances.

4 Likes

"Bringing Bandcamp to Songtradr will make it easier for independent artists to connect with creators and developers looking to license their music and enable Epic to focus on its core metaverse, games, and tools efforts.”

Pretty sure independent artists (thats us lot) dont give a flying one about connecting with 'creators and developers ’ (what ever those are) and licensing our music.

Fuck off. Pure bullshit music industry corporate wank talk.

I hate the music industry, thats why I started using bandcamp in the first place. Christ I’m going to have to go back to sending tapes in the post.

27 Likes

Bad bad news. Bandcamp is an oasis of reason and decency in the ‘content’ ‘industry’. It will be dead within a year.

Unlike the last move I can sooooooortof see the logic here, a gaming company acquiring a music business doesn’t make much sense. Never heard of tradr either btw but it turns out they own 7digital as well along with a few other audio based businesses. From what I’ve heard Bandcamp is profitable so I’m not surprised other businesses want a slice.

What Bandcamp seems to miss is any sortof connective or distribution options. Compared to businesses like Distrokid, you always need a second platform to get your music pushed out to other places if Bandcamp is your hub. Looks like the new owners offers a bit of what Bandcamp doesn’t have. And in theory they could integrate the 2 main offers (digital distribution & digital publishing for musicians) without changing a huge amount if you’re only using one. It would be nice to use it as a one stop shop to get distribution codes or to send it to blogs, labels or people looking for music. That would be an improvement and a good use of the merger.

But to be fair, it looks like Epic didn’t really touch it at all. So while the press release is full of the usual huff about “synergies” I feel like there should be a sense around Bandcamp that fiddling too much with it would distort and reduce the value of what they bought. If they can run the group companies alongside each other, but mix them up together where it makes sense this should work better than all the AI fluff the Epic gang were coming out with. At the very least, it’s an audio focussed company who has bought into the idea.

4 Likes

This brought to mind another topic here on 'nauts:

2 Likes

Ah bollocks, I absolutely love Bandcamp, used it since the beginning, suppose I better start downloading everything just in case.

3 Likes

Active player count is declining, but it is still a milk cow, and a big one at that:

Just a reminder that there was a lot of hand wringing and pearl clutching with the Epic sale (myself included) and BC didn’t change one iota.

5 Likes

They should offer users to rebuy bandcamp.
I’d certainly send some doe.

5 Likes

But no Bucks, right?

7 Likes

:woman_facepalming:t2:

:laughing:

This genuinely made me laugh. Thank you, sir!

1 Like

There’s Unreal too. A not entirely insignificant component in video game production.

1 Like

Well… at least peak Vice didn’t acquire BC to look on the positive side of things.

I was terribly upset this morning by reading these news… Did some research for the comments, including various Reddit threads and Hackernews. Overall impression that would not be a disaster (new owner company has a reputation of fair player), but so far no certainty. Press-releases are very vague and company ignored direct questions about future of Bandcamp daily, etc.
Fingers crossed… I would not like to release on archive.org, damn it

Bandcamp workers are organizing:

12 Likes

with the new pricing model I’m pretty sure Epic shot themselves in the foot hard, looking at the unreal communities people ditching it real fast…

Petition here:

9 Likes

So you can also say that Epic made an (epic) mistake by buying Bandcamp as it was never their “core metaverse” in the first place.

And by that, also that bandcamp sold itself to such a company.

I hate it hat these platforms always need to be sold because “this is better for the artist / adds new experiences / joins forces” blablabla BS.

In the end it is always about a few people wo don’t give a s%#t about their platform and are just selling it for the :moneybag:.

The only way bandcamp will retain is when they become fully independant again, and this is very unlikely. It’s a sad day.

2 Likes

I don’t blame them, though. If a megacorporation offered me enough money for my product that I could retire comfortably while young, I’d absolutely jump on that.

2 Likes