Backup and restore digitakt projects

I am using sysex librarian to backup all my samples and I can export my projects via sysex dump to librarian, and reload them back into a blank project and the patterns are all there but the samples are not. I saw a Ricky Tinez video where after he did this, his samples were all back where they should be. The only difference I can see is he was using C6. Is that why it’s not working or am I missing something in the process? I’ve watched the video over and over.
https://youtu.be/5AQKcNNr6ts

Have you restored the samples before?

That’s because the samples were still on his +drive. Samples are not stored in the project itself. The project only holds a unique hashcode of each sample in a sample slot which gets used to fetch the very same sample from the +drive.

Due to the unique hashcode it doesn’t matter where it is stored exactly, but it needs to be on the +drive somewhere. Sample names doesn’t matter either, the only thing that matters is its content from which the unique hashcode gets calculated (that’s like a fingerprint of the sample).

When restoring a project from a backup the DT will look for the corresponding sample of each sample slot on the +drive. If no matching sample is on the +drive you will get question marks in that slot indicating that the sample couldn’t be found.

All my samples are still in the +drive and the slots are still empty.

Hmmm … that’s a strange one. Have you tried to save the restored project? May be it will just then starts looking for the samples?

I’ll try that. I’m right now doing the process again so just waiting for all the patterns to import. When it’s done I will save the new project. I notice in sysex librarian there is an option to “record one” and “record many”. I chose “record many”. Do you know if that is the right one?

I haven’t used sysex librarian myself, but since it is one large sysex package “record one” sounds like the right option.

Ok I tried saving the new project with the imported patterns and the sample slots were still empty. And “record one” seems to only transfer a single pattern. It seems to be only transfering the patterns and not the sample slot information. There must be one detail I’m missing. Either that or sysex librarian doesn’t work as well as C6 did. Thanks for your input! I’ll keep trying.

1 Like

this thread is a bit older… whats the most recent way to save and restore a digitakt project?

just save it on DT, than transfer it with Transfer to the computer ?(i noticed it also copies quite some samples)