Avalon Bassline...worth it?/ Opinion

Yes its plug n play. Though i dont sequence the Avalon with it. I just send it clock and its tight. Besides, half the fun is using the Avalon sequencer so it sort of defeats the purpose to use the Cirklon

1 Like

So how do you use it in the context of the Cirklonā€™s song mode? for example, I donā€™t use elektron sequencers at all and do all my sequencing via the cirklon. (elektron boxes have fantastic midi implementations an are often multi timbral.)

So how does the Avalons external sequencer fit into your Cirklon work flow, do you not use the song mode?

No not really. Im too lazy to.a. These days I just tinker on the Avalon while Cirklon sends clock. I record mini patterns which then I try to resequence in Ableton. I should prob play more with song mode but trying to get out of linear midi sequencing and printing audio which is manipulated post

I donā€™t use a DAW and usually just record to tape. The Cirklon song mode has been a blessing in that regard.

I need to check it out and use more thoroughly. So you sequence all your elektrons from the Cirklon? Do you not use the built in sequencer on your units?

Maybe, if your (interesting) questions are on the Cirklon topic only, you could continue it in the appropriate place :wink:

2 Likes

:+1: :joy:

1 Like

source: manual v1.06c

1 Like

thats super barebones :frowning:

This is not the last version of it, the official manual is completely lacking the MIDI implementation section. All I could find was the 1.06c manual, so the information may not be completely relevant today.

But yes, itā€™s rather simple indeed.

1 Like

1.07 is no better for midi implementation.

1 Like

Brian told me in an email they were never satisfied with the Ladder card and said it felt so close to the regular stock filter theyā€™re probably never doing another run. Supposedly my unit is going out November 1-3 also so yay.

1 Like

Interesting mikey303 over on the M8 discord did a little live stream of them all and that one is his favorite of the lotā€¦ it has a different growl to it for sure and a way squeakier resonance when cranked (I donā€™t love that part of it but you just have to be a bit more careful with the res)ā€¦ plus it has a bandpass mode, I personally felt pretty safe skipping over the 2044.

this is currently written on the 2044 filter cart page on the website, so maybe he has rethought doing a ladder run again.

1 Like

Iā€™m on the discord, but where can I find it?

He just did it live in the jamming channel I believe so sadly no archive of it just a thing he did spur of the moment.

1 Like

A goal of the avalon was to be exactly the same circuit as the original, which predates midi, which is why theres basically no midi or (sound) presets. All the extra bits they added even run off a seperate power supply to keep the OG as it was.

2 Likes

Regretā€¦

October update.

4 Likes

Well I got a text from Brian and a tracking number. He lives 40 min away and I asked if I could just pick it up locally but he said itā€™s easier to ship.

Should be here tomorrow hopefully!! Ordered July 2021 and Iā€™m not sure Iā€™ll even keep it at this point!

Keep an eye out for a possible black with red led Avalon with filter cartridges in the next day or two :joy:

4 Likes

I dreamed I was playing with a 303 clone last night. Wasnā€™t the Avalon, weirdly :thinking:
A good thing I donā€™t believe in dreams offering glimpses of the futureā€¦ :sweat_smile:

2 Likes