Autism TikToks - My fifth attempt at making an album

Dear Elektronauts,

this is my latest album “Autism TikToks” and I’m really happy to share it with you!

A bit of background on the title: I am totally amazed by the fact that we live in a time where people who are a bit different from the average person do have the possibility to explain themselves and just show themselves how they actually are. Hence the title of this album. A while ago I stumbled upon videos from neurodivergent people and they totally make sense to me. It is so refreshing to see them act naturally and not portrayed through the narrow lens of society. Neurodivergent people aren’t broken, it’s society.

The album’s quiet and intense at the same time. I thought about doing a pure ambient album because the tracks and atmospheres would be more consistent but I decided against that. I’m not just the calm guy, I’m all these things at the same time. So, I guess this is my most personal album to date because I just used those tracks that I like the most.

As always, I used mostly live recordings from Elektron devices for most tracks:

1. A4 MKII
  2. Syntakt
  3. Digitone, Syntakt, Take 5
  4. Digitone, Moog Grandmother
  5. Reaper, using stems from the original artist
  6. A4 MKII
  7. Syntakt
  8. Syntakt
  9. Paulxstretch, Reaper
  10. Polyend Tracker, Take 5
  11. Reaper, Syntakt
  12. Syntakt
  13. Polyend Tracker
  14. Paulxstretch, Reaper
13 Likes

GREAT album name :grinning:

1 Like

Thanks! Yeah, I stumbled upon that term while browsing YouTube… And then I watched some of those videos. I’m totally amazed by the fact that we live in a time where people who are a bit different from the average person do have the possibility to explain themselves and just show themselves how they actually are. And they do make sense to me. It’s just the society that’s a bit broken. And after discovering that I’m neurodivergent as well, I thought it would be nice to make people think about these things a bit.

2 Likes

Oh, in case anybody wants to hang out and listen to the album together, there’ll be live premiere today at 7:30pm CET!

1 Like

Here are some download codes if you want to give it a proper listen:

3l94-efxx
wet4-3ajp
s6nj-c782
pnd6-we7h
rdjt-c3pv
x7gr-3xks
h5uw-wqtl
hr5q-h83j
4l79-52lk
qc5u-bcq8
gh7v-xhg2

https://drlaemmerbein.bandcamp.com/yum

I’m sure your intentions are very pure, however I feel the title is a bit cheap. ASD is a spectrum and although I admire you interest in the topic, it is not just some people being “a bit” different.

ASD ruins lives, people with it suffer, caretakers suffer. It is a very deep and complex mental disorder that goes beyond how society treats people. I agree society is one dimensional and does not offer enough guidance to understanding those who have it.

Again, I’m sure your intent is pure and I respect your willingness to understand some of the struggles people with ASD have.

I also need to make clear that my opinion of the title does not mean you should change it. It is your work and you choose what you feels best.

I am not offended by the title and although I personally find it somewhat distasteful it doesn’t mean you’ve done anything wrong.

Cheers!

2 Likes

Thanks for writing this! Yes, “a bit different” really isn’t doing it… ASD can fuck up your life and that of your loved ones - like ADHD fucked up my life more than once.

I deliberately chose that title because it is a bit offending but autism tiktoks are also a thing right now. On the one hand you have those fake influencer videos with all the wrong facts about autism, diagnosing you within ten seconds and on the other hand you get to experience real people who can help other people on the spectrum tremendously by being some kind of role model.

Basically, I want to start a discussion.

1 Like