Autechre syx and Model Samples

yep, the MPC projects were full of wavs - loaded the samples onto my octatrack without any problems.

1 Like

did you make any tracks with the samples of rob yelling?

2 Likes

Sysex = System Exclusive.
= this bunch of data is exclusive to this particular system.

So… a model cycles sysex file can be read by any other model cycles. Digitone sysex can be read by any other digitone and so on.

Samples are just audio files, and can be read by anything that plays audio files, providing the format is common. Most samplers read WAV for example.

1 Like

The sample part of this dump is probably the least interesting… :innocent:

2 Likes

I just downloaded it. Absolute rubbish haha

1 Like

Just as a reminder, for those who want to check:

(links are AE official, they were maintained although the website where they were provided first has changed now.

1 Like

I find them actually full of interesting noises just begging to be butchered.
:yum:

Gotta disagree. Plenty of grist for the mill, plus it was super cool getting little bits from Quaristice stems after rinsing the album for a decade. You can hear a bunch of the samples on this:

i didn’t make any tracks without them.

2 Likes

Right? d forgotten about them. And couldnt find em for a minute.
I suppose I thought the syx would atleast load patterns.
Some of them are… something. But whatever.

Cheers dudes!!

@LyingDalai @estragon To each their own :slightly_smiling_face: It was an insta delete for me. Not to put anyone else off them, just my opinion etc etc

I guess we don’t like the same things in Æ’s music ^^

To come back to the subject, I did some OT chains from Æ samples (with @Abhoth’s simple yet brilliant OctaChain tool). If you feel like it could be of some help for you, I can share, let me know :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Very kind of you. But I don’t think I’ll end up using them enough to warrant putting you through the trouble and I sold my OT a little while back to fund a Rytm. I was hoping for more of their synth sounds, tbh, but I’m guessing that was all produced on the Nord G2 and Monomachine.

There are a bunch of synth sounds in there though! From memory all the SH sounds are Roland SH-09 samples with varying levels of manipulation. It was interesting seeing how bits I assumed were live acid are actually just heavily effected resamples.

1 Like

You’re right on that bit. Sounded a little acid to my ears, which really isn’t my taste at all. I love their pads and FM soundscapes/manipulations more.

As far as the G2 stuff goes, it was nothing crazy, certainly not what I expected. If my memory is right, it was mostly just variations on a 3-osc synth with some basic parameter sequencing.

It’s a good synth patch for the G2, but really nothing that hadn’t already been posted a dozen times on Electro-music.

Similarly, the MD SysEx wasn’t anything “special” either, certainly nothing out of the ordinary. Some basic LFO routing, mainly with a retriggered triangle, a few paired tracks, and pretty standard programming.

The most interesting things were how they mixed the tracks, many were very very low, and occasionally they started the kick on the 3rd beat. That and they aren’t wizards, they’re just really, really good at what they do.

2 Likes

Bastards! Hahahaha. But yes, the sum is greater than its parts, I believe, etc etc.

Seriously. They hardly even used more than 32 steps… you hear it expecting 16 LFOs all routed to a resampling channel that’s mangling everything into audio mulch, and them somehow figuring out how to get trig conditions on a MD and the Nord patch to be a rubix cube of patches and sequencers and math…

Nope, they mostly used the same basic synths, mostly the same track machines on the MD with slight variation, and they are just fucking masters at what they do.

Took the wind right out of the whole “if you just had these patches/algorithms/whatever, you’d be Autechre” thing.

4 Likes

I also remember just about every synth sound on the MnM had the LPF set really low.

I actually thought the paired tracks/trigs they were doing on the MD was brilliant, really made me think differently about the machine. Also if you put the sysex on a non-UW MD the RAM and ROM machines would show up, but they wouldn’t make sound.

1 Like

there’s 2 people on WATMM who are reconstructing entire live set from one of the gigs. they’ve worked on it in sections over the last year or so. expecting to have it done/mixed in a couple months. pretty epic endeavor really. i’m stoked to hear it.

2 Likes

Have they posted anything? If you can share a link that’d be great.