Audiointerface/Mixer advice with plenty inputs

@vasidudu
I had a look into the MOTU interfaces of course (I used to have the UltraLite MK1 long time ago) but they all don´t tick enough boxes of my checklist unfortunately. The possibility to chain them is nice of course but would end up being quite expensive and the UltraLite MK3 seems to be discontinued?

@CMOS
The Behringer digital mixer range was something that I looked into as well but I don´t have any experience with any of their digital mixers. I like their synths but I had an analog Behringer mixer that was straight up trash. To be fair it was from the XenyX range but I had two units of the same model and both had the same problem: they just switched off randomly without touching anything. Speaker popping included… So I´m not too keen to jump into their mixer range even though I never heard anything bad from the digital mixers.

This RCF mixer is similar in specs and prize and is also something that I looked into.

But still the PreSonus 24R or 32R seem to be the best bet of what I have discovered so far in terms of connectivity and versatility. I just wanted to make sure that I didn´t miss any obvious alternative before investing in it. Still a little annoyed about the price difference between the 24R and the 32R but it is what it is I guess. And I keep looking for B-Stocks but there are none available (only the 16 channel version at the moment). So either they don´t sell that well or they just don´t get returned as much.

1 Like

I´ve been looking into A&H mixers when I needed a little mixer to route everything into (before my studio kinda exploded in the last year) but like you said they were always a little out of my price range. And even though my current mixer is a small one (Mackie 1202 VLZ4) I had to place it so badly that parts of it are covered by the computer monitor, I can´t even see the master meter LED´s :smiley: My desk is literally full with gear so a lot is pointing towards a rack solution.

Have you heard of the Speck Xtramix?
http://www.speck.com/xtramix/xmix_2.html

It is discontinued, but they pop up every now and then. It is compact and has a ton of inputs and outputs.

2 Likes

Not everywhere.

1 Like

Let us know what you decide on anyway :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the hint, didn´t know about that and it looks like it would fit the bill nicely. Too bad it´s discontinued, haven´t found any for sale at the moment…

An update for anyone that´s interested and might look for a similar solution:

I got a good price for the 32R from Presonus and now after two days of using it I can say that I´m very happy so far with my decision/purchase. I´m still getting used to the control software/mixer which has plenty of options and haven´t tested all use cases yet (especially recording) but the possibilities for routing gave me a big smile yesterday. Since this is a 3 in 1 unit (audiointerface, mixer & patchbay) I can chain any signal through various FX first before sampling it back into a box, for example I could send the signal of the Digitakt to the Digitone for additional effects and then send this to the iPad for some serious mangling and then just send it all back to the Digitakt and record it in (without touching any cables). This is also possible in a DAW but this is all done with the mixer alone and no DAW at all, the computer is only needed as a remote control for the mixer but this can also be done with a tablet.
The remote control with a computer/tablet is a little more annoying than I thought it would be so I guess I´ll also go for a FaderPort in the long run or it just takes a little more time getting used to it and memorize where each function is located. All in all I´m very happy with it and can definitely recommend it. And good thing I went for the 32 channel model instead of 24 since I almost maxed the 32 channels out already :smiley: And the 16 outputs are all connected already but that´s what you get when almost everything is stereo/has two channel inputs.

3 Likes

I’m using the 32ch StudioLive III with Studio One and a Faderport. I’llsay Overall I’m happy with the setup. The SL desk was heavily reduced as they are phasing the black models in so a couple of months ago when I got it the price was very reasonable (around £1k saving over the black SL32). I already had the Faderport V2 and to be honest I wouldn’t be without it. The transport controls on the desk are limited and not in a great position IMO. The only little niggle I have is that the Faderport doesn’t match the SL in terms of case and colour so when placed together the FP sits lower. Just one of those personal things! It might be worth you trying to hunt out one of the blue models if you can find one at the right price and you have the room for it.?

Re the XLR inputs. I was going to go down the route of a couple of passive DI racks for those inputs but I found just plugging directly in with a line level source I had no issues. I’ve yet to make up the cables to populate the other XLR channels but I’m confident I won’t need the DI racks now. I’ve also still got my 24ch analogue desk for submixing and sending to the sub inputs of the SL III.

1 Like

Did you take a look at this fellow?
Two of them might fit your needs I think.

https://focusrite.com/en/usb-audio-interface/scarlett/scarlett-18i20

Just to avoid any confusion: you´re using the full size mixer? If so, is it this one?

https://www.presonus.com/products/StudioLive-32

I was looking at the StudioLive 16 III but that seems to be discontinued, all I see now is the 32SC which seems to be follow up model. Either that or a FaderPort is on my list for the future, but I couldn´t find any info if the FP works with the UniversalControl software as well or if it´s DAW only. If not then I might go for the mixer instead of FP for flexibility and not having to use the computer everytime.

That’s the one I’ve got. Maybe I was lucky to snag one as they were phasing in the new SC models but it was only recently so you may still find one in stock somewhere?

Regarding the FP. It works beautifully with the SL in DAW mode. Just plug and play and I’m sure it just appeared in the device list in StudioOne? It appears as a device in UC when you start that up too. I find it super handy, especially the jog wheel and mode buttons. With a bit of muscle memory using fingers and thumb you can get around really quickly. Obviously there is duplication of some controls on the channel strips (select, mute etc) but having the ability to select and scroll on the FP beats using a mouse in my book.

1 Like

I just had a quick look and there are very few units left for sale of the old model but I won´t be able to afford it anytime soon, so I´ll just have to hope that there will still be some left when I can or maybe look for a used one instead. But the price differene between the old and new model is not that big, at least not on what I´ve found with a quick search. The option is very attractive though since you just need a CAT6 cable between the full size and the rack mixer to have all the tactile control. Having the group faders available at all times on the bigger models is tempting but I don´t have the room for the bigger ones and since it´s just a minor drawback I can easily live with having to switch modes.

Between the desk and computer you need the CAT6 cable for control and a USB cable for audio.

Edit. I just realised you were taking about interfacing the full size and rack mixers! Couldn’t you return your rack mixer and put the money to the full size? Or is that still a struggle?

my advice would be a ferrofish pulse 16 converter (16in 16out) paired with a RME digiface USB (adats i/o and phones out).

edit : that way you can recycle your old audio interface and use it as a converter if it has adats to get the input count you need

I went for the rack mixer because it has combo inputs on all channels which I need because almost all my gear has jack outputs and to avoid all the adapters it would need. But since I also work as a light&sound tech having both is also a good option for me since the rack mixer also works as a stagebox for the mixer. For my home setup I could also just live with the rack mixer but having tactile control is a big plus hence my interest in either the FP or the 16/32SC.

1 Like

I think if I increase my channel count in the future I’ll go with one of their rack mixers. It’s a shame the series III only has 16 combo sockets as, like you, I’m using mainly line level sources. I couldn’t warrant the jump up in price for the S model with the 32 combo’s. I decided against a cheapo multi core XLR to jack loom as I’ll prob just make up the leads as and when I need them but it is a small annoyance for sure!

Definitely, all mixers/interfaces seem to be designed for and aimed at small bands/instrumentalists that need the XLR inputs with preamps. I did quite some research and the thing that fitted my needs best (and is still available) was the rack mixer series from PreSonus. All the other options would require additional stuff like adapters/DI´s/breakout cables and/or chaining several units that would have been even more expensive in the end. We seem to be a super niche market :wink:

1 Like

I blame the synth manufacturers for not providing balanced XLR outputs on all synths and drum machines :joy:

To be fair some now do; my Bodyssey have got one hence my discovery of not needing a DI, only a standard mic cable👍

Balanced outputs on everything would defintely avoid a lot of headaches and improve signal flow. I mean they became standard for a reason especially in live/event idustry so I can co-sign your blame :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’d deffo look at the Faderport for your set up. For the price they’re a great bit of kit, especially if your already in the PreSonus ecosystem. I suspect you’ll wonder how you managed without one! I’ll caveat that by saying I hate peering at a screen and making tiny adjustments to a Control with a mouse. If you hit Link mode button and hover your mouse over a Control on screen the jog wheel will control that parameter. Not the most used mode in my rig but handy all the same.

1 Like