Audio Interface - Neophyte

Howdy folks. Hope you’re all healthy and well. Question regarding audio interface…

Need to purchase my first. Currently have:

• Digitone
  • TR-8S
  • Minilogue XD
  • Old MacBook Pro (2010)
  • A&H Xone92 Mixer
  • using passive speakers

How many Inputs/Outputs do I need to record into a DAW? Would rather not have to record one piece of gear at a time.

Couple other questions rather than start a new thread…

1. Audio interface recommendations? Pretty budget conscious at the moment.
  2. DAW recommendations for a non-tech savvy chap looking to make different varieties of House music.

Many thanks in advance.

The Digitone can stream all of its tracks separately using Overbridge, it can be used as interface, and its external inputs can be used to record other instruments. Overbridge works well with my Digitone, although I have not used it as my main interface.

The TR-8S can be set up as an aggregate with an audio interface with a driver from Roland, and stream all of its tracks separately over USB. I have done this with my TR-8 and a standard interface.

The only possible issue with my first two suggestions would be if your computer can handle it or not. But, you could just set it all up and see.

For audio interfaces, I am currently using the MOTU 828es. It’s got all the ins and outs I need, sounds good, and it has been solid using thunderbolt on a newer Macbook Pro.

For DAW, I have been using Ableton for years, so of course that is recommended, but, there are lots of great DAW’s out there. My buddy just got into computer recording a couple years ago and has been really digging Reaper, and the price is right compared to Ableton. Also, since you have a Mac, Garageband is really easy to use, and is free. You might start there and see if it gets you what you are looking for.

I am not sure about passive speakers being powered by audio interfaces, as I have only owned powered speakers. But, that is probably what the Xone92 is for?

Assuming you want to record all your instruments in stereo you’d need an interface with at least six audio inputs (not counting the Xone mixer as a source).

If you want to run all your instruments through your mixer and just record the summed mix / main out of your mixer, you’d obviously need less inputs on an audio interface, namely two, but then you’d record a mixdown rather than individual tracks.

So I’d suggest an audio interface with 6-8 inputs and probably the equal amount of outputs (one can never have enough).

You say you’re budget conscious at the moment, but how much would you be willing to spend on this?

If you’re looking for VERY cheap, a Behringer UMC 1820 could be your ticket. I don’t like recommending that company usually, but there you go. Don’t expect amazing sound from something like that though. But it will definitely be serviceable.

The Tascam US-16x08 is another cheap alternative and actually gives you 16 inputs(!).

Something slightly more portable and probably a (small) step up in quality would be the Presonus Studio 1810c or 1824c.

After that you move into a price range (700 € +) where you can consider suitable offerings from MOTU, Focusrite, Audient and beyond.

Companies I personally rate highly for audio interfaces in the next price bracket (midrange price range around 1500-2500€) are UAD, RME, Antelope, Metric Halo, and the newer stuff from MOTU.

You’re paying for no. of inputs/outputs, quality of preamps, DAC quality, DSP/on board effects, auxiliary features (ADAT, SPDIF, Word Clock), connection type (USB vs Thunderbolt), AND brand name :slight_smile:

For me personally, number of inputs/outputs, quality of the DAC and quality of the preamps are most important - in that order.

My suggestion would be, get the best interface you can afford (with the best DAC/Converters) and make sure that it has ADAT in/out so that you can easily expand your input/output count as/if your setup grows.

Re DAWs, the choice is between a timeline-based, linear workflow vs a loop-based, non-linear workflow, although those lines are increasingly blurring.

The timeline-based, linear workflow is what one would be used to, comparable with eg a tape machine. You record into a timeline and build your music sequentially. DAWs that operate like this primarily are Logic, Cubase, Studio One, Reaper, Digital Performer, Nuendo, etc.

The Loop-based/non-linear workflow is more similar to how a (performing) DJ would work…loop a section, add a layer to that loop, add another loop etc etc. This is a great approach if you prefer to work with loops/phrases in parallel and then build a track by triggering all the parts that you’ve built up. The OGs for this are Ableton Live and FL Studio (albeit the latter could also be considered a linear workflow). The new kid on the block here is Bitwig - which is developed by ex-Ableton employees.

Now, I gave you this neat distinction but need to blur it again right away :slight_smile:

Of course Ableton & Bitwig can also support a linear workflow (eg in Ableton you have the session view for loop based work and the arrangement view for a linear workflow) - in a way, what makes both special is how they combine both workflows.

But at the same time, traditional DAWs are learning the loop-workflow-trick as well - Logic added a really nice loop-based workflow with its last update (10.5), and Studio One 5 has added the Show Page (which isn’t exactly the same but I assume can be appropriated for these purposes).

Ok, so DAW suggestions:

Any DAW will do, they all work really well. Personally, in the linear department, I really rate Logic and Studio One. Both AMAZING. (I own both)

When it comes to loop-based workflows, it would be blasphemy not to recommend Ableton Live (I own that too). It’s amazing. That said, Bitwig looks VERY good and has some features I wish Ableton had. I don’t own Bitwig because I find their pricing model a little annoying.

Live & Bitwig have intro versions (Live Intro and Bitwig. 8-Track) that you can get bundled with hardware for free (or just find a license on KVRAudio for cheap…like €8 cheap).

Studio One also has an intro offering (Studio One Artist), and with the latest version 5, it’s actually quite powerful.

Reaper is cheap period. And it’s super powerful. I just don’t like its interface/look all that much and I find it TOO customizable…in a sense its UI/UX doesn’t resonate with me, but many people love Reaper, so definitely worth checking out.

Logic is amazing value at 199€, especially with all the bundled instruments (if that interests you). Next to ProTools, this is the DAW I see the most in “professional”/commercial studios, so if you intend to work with commercial studios, this could be a decent choice.

I find Steinberg’s offerings (Cubase and Nuendo) great in terms of features BUT quite overpriced in comparison to what’s out there.

Lastly, some people swear by FL Studio. It used to be the “toy DAW” for those that didn’t want to use a proper DAW, lol, but its long outgrown that reputation and is a full-fledged alternative today - certainly also worth a look.

Hope this LONG post helps :slight_smile:

Many thanks to both of your thoughtful responses. Lots of info in there for me to consider.

How big a pain is it to record each track separately into the DAW and then switch the input to another piece of gear for the next track? If that makes sense. Sort of ‘audition’ everything together and then record into DAW one track at a time.

Hello again. I decided on the UMC 1820. It was the only AI with a decent number of inputs in my price range ($400 CDN). I actually had to wait a few months until units arrived. Should have it in my hands later this week. Then the real challenge begins! Perhaps I could reach out again for further tech support if needed.

Re DAW…the unit comes with Tracktion. Seems to be reasonably regarded from what I’ve read. So I’ll start there.

Thanks again!

1 Like