Audio cable stuck in the input of octatrack

Hi,

the title says it all. I have a cable stuck in the input © and the octatrack won´t let it go. What to do? And also, is it the octatracks or the cables fault?

This topic may be helpful:

Thx, I saw it already, but its not the same, because the cable is still stuck. Now if I pulled it out forcefully I might be in exactly the other threads situation. But I dont want to risk breaking anything in the octatrack.

What brand cable?

At one point, I know that Monster brand cables used larger than normal diameter plugs and reportedly ruined jacks on certain gear.

See also https://www.talkbass.com/threads/monster-cable-too-big.518853/

The back of the jacks are sealed and your cable is likely blocking the way in, so the way I see it you have two options: Gently but firmly work it out, or send it to Elektron to fix.

(I’m the guy from the other thread that extracted a broken off tip from my OT, so I have some knowledge of the inside of these jacks.)

If it were me, I’d develop a sense of how much wiggle room I have, and then try to “swirl” it out. The part where the plastic insulator separates the tip from the sleeve probably has a raised edge that’s binding on the metal tabs inside the jack. The metal tabs give way, so if you can work it past those, you should be golden.

Again you’re gonna have to very gently get a feel for the amount of “swirling” motion you can safely do.

All I can say is be careful and if you have any doubt, send it in for Elektron to sort out.

4 Likes

Best thread ever as far as I’m concerned. I was looking down the barrel of £100+ of repair charges (mostly shipping costs)
No more !!
2 x screwdrivers and a bit of patience and it’s sorted !!

Thanks to everyone who convinced me it was possible… Last time I checked all other forums said I had to replace sockets… Elektronauts a bit more resourceful that gearslutz :wink:

1 Like

I had a similar problem once with my Apollo twin. I used an el cheapo rca to guitarplug adapter and it got stuck. With some wiggling and patience I finally got it loose. Been favouring genuine neutrik and rean connectors ever since lol