Atlas, XO, other sample managers - your favs and why pls

Yes I’ve spent time with XO. I was only being light-hearted really, no argument from me that the tools available now are amazing!

Yes there are similarities with Digitakt for sure, but any DAW-related automation or other stuff can apply to any plugin that exposes its parameters which most of them do.

Anyway it’s all good, both are great tools that offer a lot of value. No need to choose!

2 Likes

Hi there, is there a way to prevent Atlas 2 sequencer from resetting the lanes each time it loops ? Thanks a lot.

Grabbed atlas yesterday, I’m definitely liking it better than xo, ahd some great fun just banging away in standalone with the launchpad pro… Very cool indeed wish I’d picked it up sooner…

just to confirm, Atlas works stand alone, thought that was one of the differences between the two?

Pretty sure both work standalone or as a plugin

2 Likes

Yep standalone is fine awesome way to noodle ideas and save as a bank for inspiration later down the line…:+1:

1 Like

thanks

that’s correct

quickie for you guys, do all of these managers allow for destructive sample deletion of your system… it just occurred to me that maybe the best thing these apps can help me do is get rid of tons of samples I don’t like?

I don’t think you can delete anything from your root libraries via Atlas or XO - it’s the same for Mac and PC versions.

Best thing to do if anyone wants to understand any software more deeply is to download a trial copy; both Atlas and XO work at full functionality for 10-14 days. :+1:

thanks, that’s unfortunate, it’s worth a feature request though… I just got XO, and will probably get Atlas… will make a request to both devs…

the thing I hate the most about going through my sample library is listening to the same samples that I don’t like every time I’m looking for something I do like… I think cluster managers like these could really help to make that experience a thing of the past if destructive deletion was possible.

1 Like

The filter/search function is really good for this, make that your friend.

Favourite things too, that speeds things up. In my geeky moments, I’ve sat and auditioned a sh*t load of samples just to favourite the ones I like and can see myself using. That helps a lot.

Also, it’s tempting to just point XO(and Atlas) at your main ‘Samples’ folder on your drive, or even just at your drive… but, pointing it at individual sample folders early on helps you more in the long run.
For example, if I’m looking for an acoustic kick, I don’t want it looking at my whole Sample From Mars folder, so I can just deselect it in the filter/search.

2 Likes

Maybe the ADSR sample manager has that function?

I can’t think of any specific sample management software or music production software with a sample browsing feature that can do this - not that I’ve used anyway.

I get the feeling that dev’s may not wish to include this specifically, as don’t want to be blamed for lost data. Maybe it’s also a coding thing - really not sure.

In Cosmos, you can audition in a similar ‘cloud’ based UI format (and also via lists) and then favourite your samples to create collections.

1 Like

I had a try earlier and I think Atlas (in standalone mode at least) can delete samples from the filesystem. That said, it’s one at a time and you have to go through a confirmation dialog each time so it’s going to be a slow process.

One thing I realised with Atlas is that if you drag a bunch of samples that you like over into the grid (I chose 8x8 to maximise the size) then you can multi-select the pads and then use the drag icon to copy+paste all those files somewhere. I’m on OSX so I’m dragging into finder. It’s a pretty decent/fast way to find a load of samples that you like and then move them into a separate folder.

I’m going to use this technique to make a subset of kicks, snares, hats, percussions, one-shot synth samples etc and then drop into my AR and focus on just using those sounds for a period of time. Or at least, that’s what I’m telling myself!

1 Like

thanks I’ll be giving that a try

I have installed XO and it does not start well. I really don’t like that it shows all their own Core content from the beginning when I wanted this for browsing my own samples. How the heck do I remove all the XO core samples at least from the Space?
I checked the manual and even under “Adding your own samples” it does not say how to do this.

There is a filter and you can select which folders to show or hide. I don’t have it in front of me but I think this ought to work.

I think the icon you need to click is a magnifying glass maybe?!

2 Likes

That did it thanks.

So yeah I’d like to give atlas a giant pat on the back for its random assistance with this track, gotta say I’ve totally slept on it as a plug-in and it’s just proved to me over last couple of days what a powerful bit of software it is for inspiration and ease of use, this a cross post from the current sounds from your gear but I’m pretty happy with the outcome and all the main drums are from a randomised kit in atlas and I used the sequencer from atlas to build the patterns and variations and export into session view…

Hope you guys don’t mind a demo being thrown into the thread, I’ll happily delete it if it offends

6 Likes

Question for the Cosmos users: does it also keep scanning and analyzing the same folders over and over again on your end?

I haven‘t changed nor added any samples since initial scan and yet it keeps doing it over and over again. I find it midly annoying.