At what volume do I export my stems for Octatrack use? [gain staging]

Hey there. Almost ready to start exporting my songs from ableton to octatrack. I’m gonna export little loops of the layers and get it ready for the octatrack. I understood that I had to export at 44,1k, 16bit, but I have one question.

I mix all my tracks at -6db for mastering. Do I export all stems at -6db so that front of house can boost it? I’m thinking of using the analog heat as a sort of master effect to up the volume.

Anyway if anyone can help me with this gainstaging thing that would be nice!

thx

Unless CF card space is an issue I would export them 44,1kHz / 24bit. This way you can choose from project to project if you want to use 16 or 24bit in the settings of the OT. The OT then converts the samples to the correct format when loading a project.

I think you can use samples normalized to 0db.
By default VOL at 0 lowers to - 12db (compared to +63).
Default Level is 108, - 3db compared to 127.
(-15 db by default with Attributes GAIN at 0 db, MAIN at 0)

Edit : if you prefer to export at - 6db anyway, check this (VOL=+27 = +6db) :

1 Like

If you want your stems mix to sound the same on your OT as they do in youe DAW, export at 24bit and dont normalise. 0db peak will be fine.

I did as you said here, exportet 24 bit, sounds perfectly fine, but now i want to mix it with my through maschine, i.e syntakt bassline, and xfade between a recorder buffer.

How should i compensate? If i record the syntakt, with orange flickering, it records about a bit more as half height. (i think -12db) My daw recording pesks at -6.
Recording volume is 127, is that a peak setting? Or amplification?

I pushed the anp on the recording to 63, the amp on the DAW stem is 0. Would +27 be ideal as cesare said?
What is the db interval on the amp page?

Did I ? :content:

Don’t know exactly, I guess I mesured it some way.

What do you want to compensate ? Samples exported from your DAW and your OT recordings ?

1 Like

I have no idea how to help other than…

Trust your ears.

1 Like

Yes, i want the volume as close as possible, between stem and recording.

I’d check recording level firstly.
I think red led is a -12 db warning, so peaks can be red.

Compare with stems exported at -12db…or lower them in attributes…

1 Like

so if i understand you correctly, in order to achieve an unchanged and exact signal level of a loaded sample,
vol must be set to +63,
the level of the track to 127
the gain attenuation in the sample attribute should be set to 0dB

Yes but if it is normalized, no headroom. VOL 0 gives 12db headroom.

1 Like