At what point can someone consider themselves a musician?

RC ProAM?

2 Likes

That’s true, I should have said lawyer. Much less popular MC moniker.

Congrats on the progress! Don’t worry about labels, everyone will have a different opinion anyways.

4 Likes

Nintendo? If so that was one of my favorites.

2 Likes

Had to look it up, and apparently there’s a DJ Esquire. Who knows… maybe they’re a lawyer too?

Related conversation here FWIW.

Yeah… for my OGs

1 Like

Thank you!

To be honest, It wouldnt have happened without this forum.

Its influenced me so much.

2 Likes

you don’t want to get musicians involved, that’s where music always starts to go wrong.

1 Like

Just to add I have been making music for 20 years, but never professionally.

In a quest to get a decent job I went to uni and learned to be an engineer.

I am now a professional engineer. I suck at it, but I still get paid, however I can post here and discuss music openly at a pretty technical level. When I speak in meetings at work people roll their eyes and look at eachother until I shut up :joy:

I like to think I’m a musician at heart and have been since I picked up a guitar when I was 15.

Accomplishment is over-rated.

2 Likes

You’re a musician when elderly family members can say, “I don’t understand this.”

4 Likes

Musicians do things with stuff to make sounds. They occasionally do that with other people in a space together. Sometimes they do this with the intent to explore and other times it’s to communicate something in particular.

There is a sort of interaction happening with the musicians and their instruments, the space and each other. Sometimes the sounds form what may be considered a song. Other times not so much. Either way… they’re still musicians.

There can be vocals, or not. The voice is an instrument. We are all musicians?

2 Likes

been playing DJ gigs regularly and producing for over 10 years, live shows the last 2 years.

I still have imposter syndrome about being a “real musician” like a traditional one

We make noise. We are musicians. It doesn’t require anything else.

Some good replies in here

Hard to nail it down though, i think anybody that attempts to convey their thoughts/feelings through musical expression is a musician.

However, if you tell somebody, ‘im a musician.’ You better be able to back that up with something beyond the abstract statement

Attempting to refine my first comment

Being really good at making music won’t necessarily make you money

Making money by playing music doesn’t mean you are necessarily good at it.

If an EMP went off tonight and all your gear was toasted, could you still make music? Would you still make music?

Well I beg to differ- if you are a professional musician then yes you need to make money off music. But many good musicians don’t get lucky breaks or make money and are super talented. Me- I do it for pure fun as I have a day job to pay the bills and dislike the excess pressure to perform making music as it feels too much like a job and work.

1 Like

sounded like a joke to me :grinning:

Anyone who makes music is a musician.

6 Likes

And those that sell gear are musicians friend

5 Likes