At what point can someone consider themselves a musician?

I’m having great conversations on mixing and mastering, I own the best software and instruments.

And I produce and synthesize sounds to make music.

I’m actively learning theory through in person piano lessons.

I need a lot more work on arranging. But I make 2 or 3 “tracks” a week.

I feel like I’ve crossed a couple thresholds.

9 Likes
  1. When you can speak music, and express your emotions in real time through your instrument of choice.

2. When you get paid for it

5 Likes

there is a fundamental issue with traditional logic (not the daw) vs human intention.

Musician - I do, therefore I am.

Musician - a paying career in music.

beat me to it.

and man it looks like our points overlap pretty hard. maybe this is the correct answer after all.

4 Likes

I can’t express my emotions in realtime, nor do I earn money from making music. But I made four albums, so I better call myself a musician.

My music may not be great or anything but it is music!

10 Likes

If one needs a definition, this has the virtue of being easy to verify. But it would be kind of sad and reductive to leave it at that.

18 Likes

whenever you want

23 Likes

I’m talking just going down on the street and busking for enough cash to get a pint or a sandwich. It’s an energy thing, not necessarily “professional” or actually making a living

3 Likes

I have no money, no resources, no hopes. I am the happiest man alive. A year ago, six months ago, i thought I was an artist. I no longer think about it. I am.

• Henry Miller, Tropic of Cancer
16 Likes

Well if I ever get a bandcamp up, maybe then I can fulfill that criteria!

4 Likes

I think to concern ourselves with labeling each other as is or isn’t, is similar to calling some people cool and some people square.

I think your topic is valid, but to put a label on musician establishes a system of value based on an undefined definition of what is music, and at what quantity or perceived quality does it become valuable.

sure there is an industry which can lead you down a path of thinking what is or isn’t valuable, but someone can fart on a snare drum and someone else might like the tone it creates.

it’s such an opaque topic its hard to find any truth even in numbers. but now that I’ve ignored punctuation capitalization and grammar for the majority of this post I feel like at least an artist if not a musician.

6 Likes

well according to Webster Dictionary, a musician is:

musician

noun

mu·​si·​cian myü-ˈzi-shən

Synonyms of musician

: a composer, conductor, or performer of music

especially : INSTRUMENTALIST

4 Likes

As long as you aren’t making any money, you can call yourself a musicain.

Once you start making money (don’t forget the cost of your gear), you become a producer or label operator/owner. :joy:

6 Likes

4 Likes

getting paid doesn’t have shit to do with it unless you want to call yourself a “Professional musician”

lot’s of people are musicians it’s just most see it as a hobby. or they’re serious but cannot support themselves financially. same being a writer… or a painter etc…

10 Likes

I don’t want to be a pedestrian, I want to be a professional pedestrian

5 Likes

You are a musician when you feel like you are.

No one else can decide for you.

8 Likes

This is a great parallel.

I started this thread more to see what others thought in terms of what a musician is, and you and everyone have given such thoughtful and philosophical answers. It really is a pleasure engaging in these convos, as I gain so much insight into myself, and others!

I would say, when I was studying the studio fine arts at Chicago City College, as asked the professor the same thing about being an artist.

She enlightened me to labeling yourself as such, opens you up to expectations and criticism.

She said to say”I make art, or I make music”.

5 Likes

It’s getting real close!

So close that imposter syndrome is starting to feel silly at this point.

2 Likes

We are the music makers.

7 Likes

if you are poor then yes: you are a true musician

8 Likes