Assigning samples to 16 trigs

Hey everyone. I can’t figure out how to assign samples to the 16 triggers. I want to use the octa to play backing samples and have one each on the triggers.

I have imported sounds and am able to assign to samples to the 7 sample triggers?

Fairly new to the Octatrack so thanks for your help.

Stu

Or is it a case of just using two banks

Hi. Backing tracks, so you mean longer than 1 mn? How do you want to play them?

It seems you are confusing several things.

There are 8 audio tracks, you can play 8 samples max at the same time.

The first 8 trigs triggers the 8 tracks when they are set to PLAYS FREE. 9-16 trigs can trigger default track sample. (It is possible to play different samples with trigs 1-8 using Plays Free Tracks, tell me if interested).

You can trigger all SLOTs samples with SLOT mode (Function + down arrow).
Maybe the easiest to trigger 16 backing tracks with 16 trigs.

In Grid Recording mode, on a same track you can assign a different sample per trig, holding a trig and turning Level knob. Usefull for short samples. Slices can be more interesting in that concern.

Default track samples (trig 9-16) are set in Parts.
You can assign 8 default track samples per Part. 2 Banks use different Part so it’s doable.

Also doable with 2 patterns with different parts.

Are you synced to other gear?
Do you want to quantize your backing tracks?
Do you want to play several backing tracks at the same time?

Depending on the length of the backing tracks, you could also possibly create a sample chain of all the tracks, slice them into 16 parts, then lay them across one OT channel in a STATIC machine. That would mean that they all have the same OT FX on them, however.

2 Likes

Yep. Slices or Slots (going thru same fx too).

Trying to understand this myself:
I want to be able to assign 16 Slices of a drum loop that I auto-sliced in AED Slice Mode for example (or any sample), onto the 16 trigs(pads). Probably pretty basic but cant seem to find it in the manual.
I was watching a Jan 2019 YouTube Loopop Octatrack Mk2 review at 11:00 mins, he does it, but I cant seem to duplicate it, must be a hidden function somewhere? thanks.

I think you want to take a look at the “strt” feature. If each slice were 1 step you’d place a trig on each step of a 16 step bar and have each trig locked a different “strt.” 1 to 1 and 16 to 16.
Make sure to turn on slice on the track.

2 Likes

Set trig mode to slices :wink:

Hold function press down, move to slices mode P69 in manual.

2 Likes

There is a function for that in the AED Slice page :

CREATE LINEAR LOCKS will, given the active track contains a Flex or Static machine, automatically set the SLIC parameter in the SRC SETUP menu to ON and lock the STRT parameter of sample trigs already present on the active track. The STRT parameter of the first sample trig will be locked to SL1, the STRT parameter of the second sample trig locked to SL2 and so on.

1 Like