Ask Me Anything on/about the Octatrack, OctaEdit, Moonbeams or Bunny Rabbits

If you’re on Facebook…I’m kind of bored, and not inspired to do any coding or work on any other projects… so um… Ask Me Anything on/about the Octatrack, OctaEdit, Moonbeams or Bunny Rabbits :smiley_cat:

2 Likes

Ok, just got an OT 2,5 weeks…not really as hard to learn as most horror stories floating around on the net.
But Octaedit looks pretty daunting I have to say. But great work Rusty !!!

Scenario:
I got several projects in a set that I want merged in a song per bank setup.
But projects share different samples on the first 16 slots, so that’s a conflict.

I have watched your vids about this (relations), but still it’s pretty hard to understand what to save to get it like I want it.

Does it blend?

2 Likes

Some of those horror stories are quite old. The Octatrack was released in a beta state, so there were a lot of changes that occured in the early days; hence some of those issues and stories.

And then of course not everyone gels with a bit of gear. The Octatrack is an instrument and takes time and practice to learn.

[quote=“UYoYU, post:2, topic:35222, full:true”]Scenario:I got several projects in a set that I want merged in a song per bank setup.But projects share different samples on the first 16 slots, so that’s a conflict.

I have watched your vids about this (relations), but still it’s pretty hard to understand what to save to get it like I want it.[/quote]

Thats the exact point of the Mapping and Relationships! I’ll give you a quick / simple example. Just expand this to more Projects/Samples.

Example:

• Element equals ‘Bank’
  • Copy Source Bank 01/A to Target Bank 16/P
  • Source Project uses Flex001 AAA.wav
  • Target Project uses Flex001 XXX.wav

So both the Source (AAA.wav) and Target (XXX.wav) Projects use Slot Flex001; hence we have a conflict.

You map the Source Flex001 to Target Flex005 (or whereever you want). When you Execute the Manager it essentially does two things:

a) Copies the Element(s) from the Source Project to the Target Project (e.g. Source Bank 01/A to Target Bank 16/P)

b) Figures out any where that Flex001 was used in the Source and changes it in the Target Element to Flex005

Result:

Target Project -> Flex001 XXX.wav
Target Project -> Flex005 AAA.wav

The ‘Relationships’ option allows you to toggle whether OctaEdit remmbers the relationship between Source Flex001 and Target Flex005 after executing; or whether it clears the relationships. Each Sample Slot in both the Target and Project can only have one relationship. You can’t map a source slot to multiple target slots.

Does that make sense?

1 Like

I think it does until I try it,…is it possible to save this into a new set, just in case I completely fucked up the original, and to have a more organized set and cleaan audio pool that only has project samples in it ?

I advise to create a couple of dummy projects (‘Source’ and ‘Target’) and just add a couple of samples into them and some trigs, then play aroudn with them a bit to get a good feel for the Manager and what it does… there is a lot of power and functionality in there, so can get a bit confusing and hard to explain.

You can take a backup of your Set/Project (just archive on OSX or Windows)

OctaEdit has an ‘Auto Backup’ option which will backup your Project prior to atually writing the files to disk. This can be toggled on/off in: Options -> Backup -> Auto Backup

Have a look at the ‘Location’ drop down in the: Manager -> Target group. This allows the ability to change where the physical audio files will be moved to when copying in Manager.

1 Like

Thanks, will try tomorrow.
Would love to try how transitions work out.

No problem at all. Just ping me if you need any help / assistance?

Hi. Did you try to use Purge Sample for the first 8 slots of Static and Flex ? :wink:

No, I’ll need to sit down and see how the Octatrack behaves at some point…

Did you not see the v1.1.000 Release Notes??? What do you think I’ve been doing with my time? hahaha

:slight_smile:

Keyword: Maybe :stuck_out_tongue:

Keyword : nudge. :pl:

Snap!

Yes. Purge Samples will purge samples in the first 8 Static or Flex Slots so long as they aren’t referenced within the Project.

1 Like

Just tried again.
New project, I only load 12 samples in Static slots.
Purge Samples > 4 samples removed (9-12).:sketchy:
Won’t bother you more…
What about moonbeams ? :wink:

Somewhere in one of the 64 potential scenarios you have a reference to Slot001; because by default, Track01 uses slots Static001 and Flex001.

If you go through all the Parts, in all the Banks, and change them , you should see that you cna purge and remove samples that were asigned to Static001 and Flex001.

Tested on OSv1.25E

1 Like

Ok that make sense for Defauft Samples. We can consider they are used even without trigs…
So if I want to purge those samples I have to select other slots as Default Sample.
I will try tomorrow.
Thanks !
Tested on 1.25H

Ok I trust you I don’t want to modify all banks parts without Octadedit. :wink:
So anyway do you agree that it is better to choose slots from 9 if you want to be able to purge samples ?

Thanks, I saw your impressive work for Mac platform.

Works just fine.
And pretty easy and quick…thanks a lot Rusty !
First time round I forgot to do the same to the static samples.