Arturia SQ80 V

This just popped into my inbox. There may be a few folks interested.

10 Likes

Sounds quite nice, and when I logged into my Arturia account it was offering me 149 euros to upgrade to the latest version of VCollection including the SQ80v. I’m currently on VCollection 6 so that’s 10 synths which really is quite the deal… but I’m not exactly short of softsynths though. Hmm… what to do. What to do…

2 Likes

got the demo, not super wowed by it so far. unison mode was pushing my old MBP to 50% cpu hahahah

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up.

I’m sure my X1 Extreme would handle it alright, but still.

I think it sounds nice, but I’m gonna hold off for V Collection maybe along with NKS

Same. For $200 I could add V collection 8 on top of an already super discounted price for SQ-80. Nuts, really.

(Spoiler: I closed the browser window)

4 Likes

I’ll pay the $69 for it once the NKS come out for it. Great demo though. Going to try to map my SFC-5 to it and see how far that goes.

Owned an SQ-80 over twenty years ago. Been real excited for this.

3 Likes

I am in exactly the same boat. I very much need to learn the synths I have, but $150 for everything since 6 is crazy good value

2 Likes

Is it not there from the start? Artúria are NEARLY the NKS masters. Been very annoyed with Waldorf — NKS features do not work for me with Nave or PPG.

1 Like

Usually isn’t at first release, comes out around 1.0.1, 1.0.2 , confirmed to be the case here.
Was this way with OB-Xa V as well.

They would be if they shipped their 1.0s with NKS, hehe

2 Likes

You are correct - no soup for them!

2 Likes

I’ll cut them some slack. Truth is I haven’t touched my NKS controller in quite a while. I lean on my SFC-5 to control most soft synths.
But yea, the interface is wonderful. The FX are top notch.
Between this, OB-Xa V, and Repro, there are some seriously good software synths with lots of potential available these days.

I’m mostly surprised there is no Groove La Chord patch in the library. :laughing:

4 Likes

Whatcha think @Scot_Solida?

1 Like

I saw this too. Does anyone think it will be cheaper black friday? or probably the same price?

EDIT: I just went ahead and bought it. Haven’t upgraded since V6, and from what I remember of the Black Friday sales it was all about the same price.

1 Like

They added Transwaves… I was not expecting that! As you know, love all of those early Ensoniqs and have owned all of them at some point (still have two now, the ESQ-1 from you and the SD-1). If it sounds right, it’ll be hard to argue with. The SQ-80 was fantastic. But the idea of VFX TransWaves through a Curtis-alike filter is pretty tempting - assuming they’ve nailed that filter sound down.

3 Likes

got it for 50 bucks, not a bad deal. didn’t get a chance to dive deep today but first impressions on the presets were pretty solid!

I asked (urged!) Arturia to make an SQ80 a year ago. So you can thank me :smile:

150€ for the V collection update including the SQ80V was a good deal.

I have just spent 30 minutes with the SQ and I think it seems very good. I like the big interactive graphic interface. I like the oscillators and the filter. Fx are great.

3 Likes

I’m tempted to pick this up, but really I just hope they bring the filter emulation to a future Pigments update.

2 Likes

i was thinking the same thing, that would be lovely.

1 Like

just picked up my SQ80 V for crossgrade price, very excited. as someone who used and deeply loved the fabled SQ8L but lost it when i switched to Mac, this is an emulation i’ve been waiting over a decade for. they really went all out!

2 Likes

I loved the ESQ1 and SQ80 in the late 80s but couldn’t afford them at the time.
After a little time with the SQ80V I must say that it is my favourite of all the plugins in the collection.
This video shows that there is some passion behind it!

4 Likes