Arturia Minifreak - 6-voice hybrid synth with 37 keys and FX engine

That makes it more expensive than the Hydrasynth Explorer tho, which arguably kicks the bejesus out of this. One of the main attractions of MicroFreak was its low price. So I’m not so sure about this one being competitively priced. I just know its build quality, not to mention lack of polyphonic aftertouch, won’t get anywhere near the Explorer.

14 Likes

but this has poly analog filters. plus interesting synth engine

6 Likes

also has 4 voice polyphonic influencers

13 Likes

I got-cher influence right heahhh!!! Ya lousy bum…

Which is pure hocus pocus because even Arturia says that the VST sounds exactly the same.

1 Like

Nothing pocus about analog state variable filters. They are the best. The synth engine is the same though. It’s based off of Mutable Instruments code.

3 Likes

I think if someone told me they had $600 to spend on a synth, I’d say:

• Get the Hydra Explorer if you want the most in-depth sound design capabilities.

• Get the Minilogue XD if you want knob-per-function playability.

• Get the Minifreak if you want a simpler path to exploratory sounds and sequences.

• Get a Digitone if you you’re prepared to spend the rest of your life in an Elektron underworld where your thoughts/emotions are merely p-locks on an INF sequence.

43 Likes

So, what you’re saying, is that you’d tell them to get a Digitone. :stuck_out_tongue:

(and a Waldorf M)

5 Likes

Yeah ultimately I’d say just get a Digitakt and sample Waldorf M demos from YouTube.

4 Likes

You filthy…

:smiley:

4 Likes

So… yeah, this thing does sound really good. I just picked up an Opsix which I want to fully explore (however long that will take!) but if I hadn’t, I probably would have ordered the Minifreak. I can see it becoming the Microkorg of this decade.

That’s why we’re all here, right? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

So what would you say Minifreak is competing against?

The only thing it’s competing against is unrealistic expectations.

16 Likes

Well it’s kind of making me think about selling my hydrasynth explorer.

Yes, that could happen. On the other side I tend to believe that many many Microfreak user where not able to explore its full potential and won’t be able to do it with a Minifreak.
We are good in GASsing but lesser in producing music that delights other people - to be honest me including. :sweat_smile:

OMG I FEEL SO CHEATED

Fake Thom Yorke confirmed.

14 Likes

Says sold out on arturias web page, but not really seeing it at other retailers, is it actually available yet?

I think they are going to sell a boat load of these.

It’s not that far off a Novation Peak… and a hell of a lot cheaper.

Haven’t seen anyone mention this one doesn’t appear to have a Vocoder like the MicroFreak (just Formant and Speech from Plaits).

1 Like