Arturia Microbrute

Has anyone purchased a microbrute in 2018/2019/2020?

Have all the quality control issues been sorted out?

I’ve longed for a microbrute for so long but I’ve always been afraid to end up with a dud unit.

1 Like

@Six06

What quality control issues are you talking about?

I bought my microbrute second hand a few years ago. It’s been going strong with no issues and I haven’t been particularly gentle with it. I love the sound too, and I would surely miss it if I got rid of it.

I own a Drumbrute that had to be sent back for repair, Arturia was super easy to deal with and the turnaround time was really quick.

@Eak

I’ve read so many horror stories over the years regarding the microbrute. Some say it suddenly died after a few months, others after a year. Massive tuning issues. Problems with the keyboard, mod wheel, etc. And that Arturia is a nightmare to deal with and ignores everyone.

But your own experience is very encouraging to hear. It has this mean sound like nothing else… and such an easy to use sequencer.

@Six06
Tuning is a small issue now that you mention it. I usually have it routed through a guitar tuner to keep track of it

I’m sure it’s not the most versatile piece of gear, but there’s a lot to be said for how easy and powerful it is, plus I really value being familiar with equipment.

This was not my experience with them when I had to return a Keystep that a third party vendor essentially ignored my issues with for weeks. Arturia replaced it with a brand new unit and couldn’t have been more responsive along the way.

1 Like

Thanks for the response, you two are really helping me make my decision

1 Like

That’s right, you may have to be mindful of the fine pitch, maybe more than usual, but mine is just working perfectly for three years now.

1 Like

@Pinkbox

Fine pitch is not as big a deal to me as calibration/scaling. Has that ever been an issue?

No, no issues with that here!

1 Like

Not really my experience here.
Bought a second hand MicroFreak.
MIDI DIN cables were not working.
Received 2 new ones for FREE from Arturia 48 hours later.
Very reactive and very nice people.

3 Likes

Demo of the Steiner Parker filter in a minimal context.

2 Likes
1 Like

A bit of thread necromancy, but figured it was better than creating a new one

Any one still got their MicroBrute? I keep thinking of selling mine, but then I fire it up and have a lot of fun.

ANYHOW it’s falling apart with the sticky knobs problem, has anyone in the UK (or possibly Europe) managed to source replacement knobs? I know about lovemyswitches.com but it’s US based.

I’ve looked for ages and can’t find the right sort of knobs with the correct offset etc that will work with the MicroBrute

Go to DJTechtools and you can get sorted. US based but ship everywhere.

2 Likes

In the end I managed to order some knobs from Thonk, along with brass sleeves which allow them to be fitted to the D post pots on the MicroBrute. Oh and some new fader/slider caps. Overall I’m pretty happy with the result for £40

6 Likes

Heck yeah, fo’ sho’

2 Likes

Bookmarked!

Yes. it’s my favourite for stacking up dense loops switching oscillators and filter types as I go

Did the pitch and mod wheels go sticky too?

Yeah they did. Haven’t replaced them, as it seems a much trickier problem to solve. Also how I use this synth means I hardly ever touch those controls

The octave buttons are also gloopy, but similarly can’t be bothered to replace them

Just to let you guys know that you can email Arturia; and as i did, after a little round of email tennis, I finally managed to get Free paid for postal delivery of all knobs, slider caps and two new wheels from Arturia customer service dept.
I did have to show proof of purchase and serial number from my arturia account though. ( I bought second hand so only had my ebay purchase email trail)
I should add that these are all the new micro freak style plastics and not the old arturia 'brute rubberised ones. The fit a treat. they won’t degrade but i had to take dark grey only, even though i have white micrbrute SE.
Im totally happy with that.
Im UK based i should add.

5 Likes