Artist vs. oeuvre

I recently read a piece about an artist who’s created some stunning work that has been hugely influential to shaping my musical interests. The article claimed said artist was guilty of actions that are both against my core beliefs and criminally punishable. I checked some references and I’m fairly convinced that these aren’t just unsubstantiated accusations and their sources are credible. I know this discussion is ancient and will never be concluded, but how do you deal with such things? Ignore the person behind the art? Ignore the art because of the person?
For me, the music has been spoilt, and as a result I’ll probably remove it from my playlists, because listening to it now conjures the things its creator very likely has done.

10 Likes

I am dealing with this issue myself recently and I’m curious if it’s the same person.

Mine has had many times been confronted about their behavior but as of yet has shown not a shred of remorse. So, after the recent information was divulged, I can’t in good faith support them any longer.

I won’t burn their vinyl or remove them from playlists…I might even sometimes listen to them…maybe, I don’t know…haven’t tried yet…but absolutely no more shows or purchases. I might torrent any new music; I’d be surprised however if a label picks them up (though they made their career on self-releases hinthint).

I still think them a genius and nothing will ever change that. But I can’t give a person like this my money or attention. Simple as that.

It’s harder with artists who aren’t here to speak to the issues: Lennon or Bowie for example. I think if they were still alive they would show remorse…

It would be very difficult for me to not listen to any of them. So…it’s complicated and I don’t think people need to be simple, black or white about it.

1 Like

It’s Rolf Harris, isn’t it…

18 Likes

I‘ve always enjoyed listening to Pantera but unfortunately the lead singer turned out to be a racist idiot. But since the music or better said his lyrics aren’t projecting his ideas on that topic I can still listen to it without feeling bad. But definitely no support for that guy anymore for any of his new projects/releases. As long as you’re aware of the person behind it and don‘t just brush it all off because you’re a fan I wouldn’t feel too bad about it.

2 Likes

Shouldn’t steal from them then, either.

It’s not. And to be honest, I don’t think tying this question to any particular case or name would help in adding anything meaningful to the discussion. That’s why I left out the name deliberately.

5 Likes

Maybe not.

Wait… did you just google Phil Spector ? :joy:

For me, the music has been spoilt, and as a result I’ll probably remove it from my playlists, because listening to it now conjures the things its creator very likely has done.

Respectfully… nonsense to me. The music has already shaped you, your art, it’s gonna be with you forever. You can’t erase the past really.

5 Likes

is the name, time of the crime vs time the art you love was created, if it’s outside of when potential sickness/darkness became present warrant consideration?

is it ok to love pre Bad album MJ but wrong to love post Bad album MJ?

Ooof. Another tough one (and tough to mourn).

I admit I put on Back to Mono recently.

I think at the very least people should be allowed to deal with these issues in whatever way they feel comfortable. If someone doesn’t feel comfortable listening to their music anymore then that is their way of processing. Allow them the space.

I would never demand a huge RKelly fan stop listening to his music. I personally don’t understand how they could but Im not them and I dont know what Kelly means to them (however if they were to defend him then wed have problems).

2 Likes

I’m not talking right or wrong here, it just the first time I’ve been put off something I used to admire by the person behind it. And that’s regardless of the sequence of events. Also it’s not by choice. The music’s just gone stale for me. I hear the opening bars and it doesn’t take long for me to think of the grief the creator has caused. I agree though, the influence remains.

1 Like

Besides arts, Jean-Jacques Rousseau wrote "Emile, or On Education* which is a treatise on education… while actually he was barely a father to his children (they were pretty much abandoned). Does that mean this book has no value ? Surely not. Author != Oeuvre.

4 Likes

I’d say just go with your gut.

I listen to some music by terrible people and then others I don’t, purely as some repulse me to the point it turned me off their music, rather then a moral standpoint.

just one way of doing it.

1 Like

I swear I didn’t do it.

I’m not good at separating the art from the artist, but since there is so much music out there, I don’t find it that difficult to find someone doing a similar thing better/different in a exciting way. Even for once revered people like Derrick May, once I remove their music from my main drive I don’t tend to miss them that much. As someone who has been a victim of what many of these artists have caused onto others, I cannot transport my mind back to a place before the info was out there; the music cannot lull me back into a trance without bringing out some demons.

Also, as an aside, having met/working at the same shows as some recent big names that have been called out, I have never been that surprised by any claims of wrongdoing, as many of these artists were already weird/creepy/generally gave off bad vibes before the public knew.

1 Like

It’s a hard one for sure. When artists takes a political stance their aura gets stained for me. Not necessarily to the extent that they do not get plays ever again. But they certainly loose some of what made them interesting.

I want my passion clean from anything obviously related to politics.

In my experience of growing up in the DIY/Punk scene I came to believe that all art is political. If you pour your soul into something, your beliefs and the way you relate to others and your place in the world are baked into it.
Anything less is window dressing.

It’s been interesting watching established mainstream artists come to this same realization late in their careers. Taylor Swift as an example.

Anyway. Just my 2 cents.

10 Likes

I am one of those who can listen to a song 100 times and even sing along to the lyrics, only to realize what the lyrics acutally are the 101st playthrough.

To me music is philosophy, not politics.

How many people would stop listening to the Beatles because of what John Lennon did? I admire your integrity but everyone has secrets. What if you were listening to someone who did something bad but was never reported?

Sylvia Massy recently revealed on IG that she had been Spector’s prison pen pal.
Reminded me that even awful people who do awful things are still human beings. No one is perfect, some are just a lot worse than others.

And yea, I can’t really watch Louis CK anymore, when I think about the lives and careers he screwed over, but I find Tom Segura’s act better anyway so no big loss.

Woody Allen films are also tough.

5 Likes