Arranger Tips

Yes you can consider Arranger length as a container that can be multiplied by repeat, whatever pattern length is.

Missing bars during lockdown ?
Arranger :beers:

4 Likes

By the way, the 16 steps length by default is annoying. It should be linked to the pattern length by default.
Also, a bug, when a row is set to “halt”, it’s impossible to clear the row.

1 Like

True. If you want 64x512 rows can set one row, copy / paste it several times.
Edit : Func+Down suffice to add several rows with the same settings.

3 Likes

tips are raining !

1 Like

Func+up to delete a row. :content:

3 Likes

With external SPP midi message, you can play any step / row on the fly. (:warning: Pro tip!)

SPP messages with midi controller?

6 Likes

Good to see tips and tricks regarding the Arranger still coming in!

I´ve noticed every now and then that people are asking about midi foot controller recommendation for the OT, mainly regarding the pickup control.
I´ve mentioned Source Audio Soleman at that time since it can transmit Note Number. However, it is way more potent than that. Up until now I haven´t really looked into it. But I´ve just tested it and can now confirm that this pedal is also able to control the OT by the Arranger rows as well. Via the Soleman macro settings, the SPP can be defined via “data value 1” and “data value 2”.

In the macro editor window you have the choice of:

• CC#
  • PC#
  • Note ON
  • Note OFF
  • Pitch Bend
  • SysEx
  • Start
  • Stop
  • Continue
  • Song Position
  • Song Select

And as long as you don´t exceed 50 bytes, any combinations of above should be possible.

The Soleman is structured differently than any normal midi foot controller:
Scenes = 127 (could be thought as program changes, which is its setting at default).
(Set)List = 64 (where each, according to the manual, can consist of up to 90 Scenes in any order).
Macro = 127 (user custom messages of up to 50 data bytes each).

I use to think of the (Set)List as being the “top level” (i e song structure with different parts/scenes). However, the clever thing is that the Scenes doesn´t actually need to be Program Changes in its ‘transmission’, the options are:

Program Change
Note On
Macro

If Macro is choosen, what happens is that instead of transmitting a regular PC# or NN# the Scene selects internally any (127) Macro of your choice. That Macro can still transmit PC# (2 bytes) or choose an OT Arranger Row (which in itself could load the pattern of choice).

5 Likes

:aw: video?

With that 50 bytes limit, any order, several messages of the list? :loopy:

50 data bytes at each Macro.
64 (Set)Lists with up to 90 Scenes each.

So given that each Scene instead internally selects a Macro (instead of its default setting transmitting Program Changes). Not sure my math is correct. But I get to that it is about 90 x 50 data bytes = 4500 data bytes in total available at each (Set)List?

1 Like

@Rusty

As you have gone deeper into the OT than most of us:

Is it possible to select any Arrangement via SysEX?

@Rusty Maybe you discovered them finally? :content:

There is at least a SYSEX I monitored from OT once, I’m pretty sure it was for Turbo Midi negociate.
I planned to try different sysex based on this one but I doubt it’d work.

1 Like

Well 256 rows in any Arrangement does indeed give you quite some possibilities anyway. So a manual activation now and then wouldn´t be to much of a hassle I guess.

@sezare56
Have you tried to connect the OT with any DAW?

I´m thinking about i e Reaper. I haven´t checked but I guess it transmits/responds to SPP?

No. I use Samplitude for audio editing to prepare samples, or quick mastering.
Don’t know Reaper.

Not as far as I am aware.

I’ve discovered other interesting stuff instead.

3 Likes

Hey everyone, I know this has been discussed previously but wanted to resurrect… I think the arranger mode is a really powerful tool but for me two things make it pretty much redundant for live use.

1. no prog change message to simply play the next line of the arranger with an external controller (or even a 1 button press on the OT itself).

2. Double stop sends pointer back to start. This is inevitable live and completly messes you up whilst performing.

Ive messaged elektron but was fobbed off with the usual “the code is maxed out bs”. Followed by a massive (amazing) update. Adding a single prog change message for the next the line of the arranger would make this so useable live but instead I’ve had to do loads of convoluted work aroundd with ableton, which cause various annoying clocking/midi issues. such a shame.

Anyway rant over, ha ha.

Arranger follow SPP (Song Pointer Position), allowing to play any step of an arrangement. Possible to send SPP from Ableton if I read/remember correctly. I experimented it, possible to select and play rows with SPP.

From OT, out of Arranger Edit : choose row with arrows, press Yes to play that row.
2 buttons.

Don’t know what to say if you can’t do a single Stop…Press Play? (Pause), use external midi ?

Possible to program Arranger to stop with HALT.

Tips over. :content:

1 Like

The point is I don’t want to use ableton, as per my comment.
It is ridiculous to have to setup a whole daw to send a simple next message.
I want to be able to send a program change via a midi controller like a kieth mcmillan to just move to the next row.

Im doing a lot of other things live and need my hands for more interesting things than pressing down and yes.
I want to use my key step or other controllers with one push to move on. The tiny buttons on the OT are way to macro to use constantly live, when playing other instruments etc…

Many other people have complained about the double stop issue. When I’m doing a lot of other stuff in a stressful live situation in the dark, it is super easy is to press a button twice by mistake. It is also reasonable to want to make sure a track is hoi g to stop in front of an audience and the instinct is to press more than once to make sure.

Sure. Possible to send SPP with a controller and a midi processor.
SPP messages with midi controller? - #31 by sezare56

I’d also like more midi control (program changes are already used for pattern changes).

feature-request@elektron.se !

Some people complain of the risk to press record accidentally.

Now we’ve got tempo per pattern I’ve pretty much stopped using the Arranger. Turns out that was mostly what I needed. Instead of remembering track mutes I now capture the OT’s output into a BlackBox, over as many bars as it needs to be, Much easier and faster.

2 Likes