Set the Arpeggiator input to be in sync?

Big +1 for this feature. It’s an essential option for playing live for me and I was shocked at the omission.

Thanks for the tip about the Taktile keyboard as a workaround, more money and boxes but if it means I don’t have to sell the A4 and start from scratch with another device then it’s welcome. I love almost everything else about it so far and don’t want to have to get rid of it.

Still holding out a little hope that they can improve some of the live performance features in a future update (arp sync/latch, one handed track muting, more usable/musical options for changing speed of arps/delay/LFOs on the fly).

1 Like

When a pattern is playing and I add an arpeggiator it starts whenever I press the key, so I need to hit it exactly at the start of a beat otherwise it’s out of time.

I want the arp to stay synced to the beat, so when I press a key it doesn’t play a note until the next beat/measure (based on whatever the arp time is). I usually use arpeggiators to create synced lines, pressing and releasing the keys to bring it in and out but with the current behaviour my timing needs to be perfect otherwise it sounds like a stuttering mess.

Is there any way to change this behaviour? I’m really really hoping so…

Unfortunately not possible.

Thanks for the reply.

That’s a real heartbreaker as this renders it useless as a performance instrument if you want to actually play/improvise live with a keyboard and have it lock in time with other parts (which I thought is kind of the point with these machines…)

I love the synth and sequencer but I didn’t even think to check this. Who on earth wants to trigger out of time arpeggios? If only those two empty slots on the arp screen had ‘key sync’ and ‘latch’ but I’m guessing if it’s not added by now they aren’t going to.

Looks like the only option is to find a keyboard/controller that has a functional arpeggiator or selling the A4 and going back to the drawing board. Shame :frowning:

Why not place a trigger an remove it in real time instead

Do you mean putting a trigger on the first note in a bar and switching off and on? If so don’t think that’ll do what I need it to.

One example of what I want to use if for is to play a bassline live. i.e. holding down C to create 16th notes, then creating variations by holding additional notes at the end of the bar, or releasing and pressing a key again to insert gaps into the sequences. Basically improvising lines on the keyboard but having it all play as a time-locked sequence.

I think I’d just use the sequencer side of it if I wanted to have straight/unchanged arp type patterns. I can see that side of the machine is amazing, but it seems like it’s all set up for programming and really not for playing.

Don’t own the machine anymore but you could hold down a trigger and the trigger gets the value of the note of your keyboard.

1 Like

I use a slaved midi clock synced arp with my korg Tactile 49

Yeah I think that’s the only option, just said thanks for that suggestion on the other thread that you directed me to :slight_smile:

I can’t find much about the arp options in the manual for that keyboard. Is it easy to change the arp time/frequency when playing? Not a deal breaker if not if it can be set to lock in sync, that’s just another ‘nice to have’.

1 Like

Possible, there are 50 rhythmical patterns, a Trigger mode letting you play chords (all hold notes are played with the pattern), BUT I may loose sync when you change these settings. It needs to receive a midi Start again. I found a workaround for that with a midi processor converting a CC to a Start. Otherwise press Start Stop Master sequencer.

Not perfect !

1 Like

Cheers! Yes it’s tricky finding just the right thing, my arpeggiator wish list is probably a bit longer than most though but I’d take a compromise to have it just be in time! I really don’t want to have to ditch the A4 so this could work out ok.

In an ideal world the arp would by synced, be able to play patterns based on the order you played the notes in a chord (e.g. so you change the order each chord, manually writing sequences on the fly) and be able to quickly switch between note timings as you’re playing.

Basically, live sequencing without going near a menu, grid or button combination. One can dream… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Check also AKAI keyboards with arp.

1 Like

Thanks, yes I took a quick look but the ones with arp functions seem to be end of life and hard to find. I’ll keep up the search though.

If you need the external controller only for arpeggios, maybe the Arturia Keystep could be a cheap alternative. I got two of them, and really like arpeggiator option. There is a knob to set the step size, a knob for the arpeggiators behaviour that covers all the basic modes plus a few additional ones.
A dedicated „hold“ button and it has a hold pedal input (but no expression input, unfortunately). I never used it with the A4, but i could test it, if you want.
I wouldn’t sell your A4 because of this.
Another controller i have is the AKAI MPK 249. Very good keyboard (IMO), lots of freely assignable control elements, very well built etc.

3 Likes

It has arp and external midi sync apparently.
Could you please check if arp is perfectly synced to A4, notes in time even if you are out of time ?

Of course! I have to go shopping first before stores close, but i will try it out as soon i come back.

1 Like

Buy champagne, just in case…:champagne: :slight_smile:

1 Like

XD

I couldn’t resist and just had to try it out right now. It works absolutely perfect! It’s stayed always in sync, no matter how hard i tried to press the keys at the wrong moment. The AKAI was used as Master clock. Even when changing the BPM rapidly in both directions, everything stays in sync.
If more infos are needed i will deliver, after shopping :wink:
A4 plus Controller is something I have to do more often, so much fun!

2 Likes

:champagne: Buy 2 bottles, in case if it works slaved to A4 ! :champagne:

2 Likes

I just tried it and it works great even when slaved to the A4! I did try to get out of sync with different fast changing parameter values, but everthing was perfect in sync with the beat.
I’m so used, to using Sequencers that i almost forgot how much fun a live arpeggiator can be!

One thing i just noticed that the AKAI MPK dosen’t have predefined arpeggio patterns, IMHO no big deal.
:clinking_glasses: :musical_keyboard:

2 Likes