ARP pattern transition trick

So in another forum a question came up regarding this video:

at ca. 1:14, Cenk brings in a slow bass, with its three notes being 32 steps each, so the bassline repeats every 96 steps. It looks like he’s in one pattern, no chain or song mode. So how does this work?

I’ve tried to reconstruct this, and one possibility (the only one I have found) was to use the arp as follows:

• in a default empty pattern with length 16
  • Place one single trig on step one of a track. Let’s call this trig the ARP TRIG.
  • for this trig, on the note page, set LEN = INF, NOT = F4
  • on the arp page, MOD = anything other than OFF, SPD = 96 (equals to 16 steps per note), RNG = 1, LEN = INF
  • set the arp pattern like this:

the offsets are 0, 4, 2 for the three active steps.
with arp speed set to 96, the arp pattern advances one step every for every 16 sequencer steps. Here only every other step is active, this gives the desired 96 steps bass sequence from the video.

• if you hit play, you will notice that the trig on the first step will restart the arp every 16 steps, this is not what you want.
  • put a trig mute on that step.

cool eh?
With this technique, you effectively can expand the length of a track to 16 bars, or 256 steps (provided that you don’t need notes faster than 16 steps… but it can be helped by using rhythmic sounds using stepping LFOs or something)

Now, the really cool thing about this is:
The arp pattern keeps playing infinitely, because the note that triggered it is of infinite length. Well, it keeps playing infinitely unless you mute the track, hit stop, or it is stopped by a sequencer step.

So what you can do with this is the following:

THE ARP TRANSITION TRICK

If you apply the technique to several patterns, let’s say always on track one, and on every pattern you keep the one trig that’s starting the arp muted, only unmuting it temporarily for starting the arp, and you switch from one pattern (with the arp arping) into another pattern, the sequence from the previous pattern keeps playing, until you unmute the new pattern’s arp trig.

So this allows for DJ-style mixing of patterns, including mixing of kits.

11 Likes

why is your rank only Elektronaut, it should be Outta this World - the first tip is brilliant and so useful, especially with naturally droning sounds, set the graphic arp to random, knock out a few trigs in it and apply a Key scale to that track, sit back … however, to switch to another pattern whilst it continues is genius - seriously useful post - i might have stumbled on slowing the arp eventually but changing patterns is genius :+1:

#A4tip

chain mode hates me :sob:

thx mate, great tip :+1:

Smashing Void! Maybe you could also explain to the lady of the house why I’ve lost another evening to my little black box :wink:

thx guys :slight_smile:

I’ve made a tutorial video for this trick:
(the annotations explain what happens)

@ VOID:

THANKS for taking the time to make that video. That helps quite a bit and encourage you to continue to share such type videos with annotations when your time allows!
Kudos!
P.S.–> Really sweet ending–love all that atmosphere!!

if you can knock out autechre in ‘cheesy’ tutorial mode then i can’t begin to imagine what you’re doin’ when you put your serious hat on - wtf happened to your A4, have you given it a stealth makeover or was that a bad case of the flakey paint i read about on the forums - kudos and well demonstrated

Thanks for sharing this, void, really impressive.

I’ll die for make some “cheesy” tunes like the ones you’ve used in your tutorial…

Really great video. Pretty inspiring stuff. Thanks.

THAT is awesome.

cheers guys

anyone playing around with this? Seems to me the endless-arp can be used for a variety of nifty tricks…

Nice! Thanks VOID!

Just catching your video and tutorial late. I wanted to login and say thanks for sharing this tutorial. Really amazing sounding demo as well. I’m looking forward to trying out this technique.

PS - sick A4 modded faceplate :imp:

Wow. What a great tip. :joy:

That was insane. I’ve so much fun just using the A4 in a not-so-exploring way but this is a whole new lever of awesome. I haven’t even toched the arps yet (shoot me) but let’s just say that I’m gonna change that right now :wink:

great trick i was thinking about how to change pattern, but keep some things the same!
awesome that you figured out

an idea i just had with this…
don’t have my A4 here at the moment to play with this…

making a polyrhythmic pattern (INF length…) which is filled up with p-locked & sound-locked trigs (INF trig length), various sounds, various arp settings per track & per trig (where possible… i.e. no2-4 params)… not every trig shall have a trig, rests can be useful too…

this pattern shall serve as a sort of “lottery tumbler”…

then, in a different pattern (the main playing pattern), trig mutes are used as outlined above…a quick pattern switch to the “tumbler pattern” and back to the other pattern should then “grab” arpeggios from te tumbler, more or less by chance… the polyrhythm and DIRECT JUMP mode should ensure that it’s not so easy to predict what kind of sound you’ll end up with (not sure if the thing with polyrhythm actually helps in this case)…

kind of like in the video I posted above, at the beginning this is happening with the 16th hihat arpeggio, but there it was planned, I knew that the hihat arpeggio is trigged on step 1 of track 2. so this would be kind of like this, but more random/chancey, involving all steps and all tracks… could be interesting, dunno…

2 Likes

Big Love!

thanks Dude!

cant wait to have asap A4 here