Arp chromatic or in scale?

Hi all,

I’m wondering if anybody can confirm whether DN’s arpeggiator is always chromatic or if it can be synched to the track’s scale settings. I’m thinking in terms of interwals between notes.

Thanks

5 Likes

As I can see - its chromatic, it would be great if it could be quantized to scale.

Do you have a Digitone? It should be very easy to confirm one way or the other.

It is chromatic - despite the manual saying otherwise, it does not quantized to track scale and key. Really disappointed me when I got mine - should really be a selectable toggle on the arp page :confused:

6 Likes

Yes, I have a DN. However, since I’m not quite savvy in music theory, I figured I’ll ask around in here. Thanks for your reply.

1 Like

Yah, it’s all over the Feature Request thread.

The usual way around is to have different arp version of the sound for different notes (for example minor chord arpeggio version for I,IV,V and major arpeggios for the III,VI and VII and soundlock them. which is kinda tedious.

2 Likes

If you have a scale set it will only play notes from the scale.
Also with chord mode on it will only play the notes of the chord.
And those notes will be diatonic to the scale…

The offsets are chromatic though…
I’m assuming that’s what u are asking

1 Like

Yes, I was referring to the fact that the Arp offsets are causing DN to play notes outside a via DN’s scale menu chosen scale.
If that makes any sense :blush:

2 Likes

Thanks all for your replies!

1 Like

I’ve created some really nice melodies with the OT arp recently
and the offsets do go to scale on that…
I find it difficult to use the offsets on the digitone in a musical way as figuring out which step of the arp is to be offset is a bit confusing and can just sound… well out…
If it was all to a scale you can just be random and come up with good results…
Don’t understand why wasn’t done in the same way and the A4 also

2 Likes

Well, I discovered what’s been bugging me with the arp all along - this, heh

Thought I’d update this I’ve changed my opinion on this actually love that the arp is chromatic excellent for coming up with unusual melodies when done right… a switch to change in scale would be welcome but wouldn’t want to lose the chromatic arp

1 Like

Is it possible to calc which offsets would be in key? I have 0 musical theory…

If you play a single note you can, otherwise it can be difficult to work out when the offset will play on which note… that seems to be the beauty of it for me anyhow…

maybe you can work it out a bit better like if the 4th step is offset is +2 and then you play a 3 note chord the first time the chord plays it plays the notes of the chord the second time it plays the first note +2 etc… but it’s difficult u might have to be a maths genius

1 Like

Gotta love the OT midi arp! When I had both OT and DN, I never bothered with the DN’s own arp and fed it everything from OT instead. Although, sometimes I turned it on on top of the OT midi arp to see what happened, especially with the random setting on the OT. I kept the offsets at 0 tho!

2 Likes

I made some really nice arps yesterday with the offsets because they were chromatic and some were in key and some were out it can create a darker sound, worth trying not in scale also…movies like Friday the 13th by John carpenter and many others use a lot of chromatic notes :ghost: lol

1 Like

I no longer have a DN. Traded it for a Nord Lead 2x. But yesterday I was messing with the Probability MfL pack in Ableton. Madness!

Nice! I don’t know much about the nord lead but I always see them in studio pics and many people like them… the Octatrack can still do chromatic also if you don’t turn in the scale

1 Like

Is there a difference in OT and DN arp? I thought they was the same?

Loads of differences. Off the top of my head, for OT you can set all notes to a specific key, there’s random and shuffle modes and you can send it out as midi - oh and the divisions are slightly different (they don’t quite match up for some of them like 1/5 for example on DN). There’s probably some other minor differences but I don’t have a DN In front of me to directly compare right now.

2 Likes