ARii Send Performance pad midi cc to FX unit

I’m trying to send the cc #44 from pad 9 to my effects unit. It says in the settings that the pads are set to send externally a(ssuming its from the midi out as it should be) but the fx units not responding. I can controll the effect from another device on the thru port so i know the device should respond to cc#44.
I can use these pads as controllers for external gear right?

do you have the correct channel settings

2 Likes

Channels are correct. I hooked it up to a midi monitot this morning to figure it out. Turns out that in Port Config, for this to work you need to turn on ‘Encoder Destination’ to External.
Like some kind of dumb internet fool I was assuming the LOGICAL setting would be to set ‘Pad Destination’ and ‘Pressure Destination’ to external as that would be LOGICAL. Fuck knows what those settings do. It sends no midi with those turned on.

1 Like

shouldn’t have delete my comment as this exactly what I wrote, but then I didn’t know if you were referring to the PERF pads and didn’t want to confuse you…

the PERF pads send CC same way as encoders that’s why you’d need to enable ENCODER DEST, be careful though, it means that every encoder will start sending CC messages as well and because they have fixed CCs they can cause unwanted confusion in certain scenarios.

the PAD DEST and PRESSURE refers to PLAY/CHROmatic modes, iirc the PRESSURE is the aftertouch, so this is for when you want to send notes and AT, not the same as the PERF pads…

labeling in rytm can be really confusing :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ah right. I’m hoping I should be ok with rogue #cc. The only thing connected is the fx unit im trying to control and I’m pretty sure it only responds to pgm change and the specific #cc that I assign to the patch.
It’s still not going to work as i’d hoped. The annoying thing with this is that it means the fx unit will mirror the LIVE performance changes from the pads but it wont respond to midi #cc sent to the Rytm from my main sequencer. It needs to be in thru port for that as Rytm is not sending encoder data for received performance CC but if you connect it to the thru port, it wont respond to encoder data. :unamused:

1 Like

well, theoretically a merge box or midi loopback can fix this problem, you could for example merge both rytm’s OUT and THRU and then send it to the fx unit…

a loopback would not work with external sequencer though, only if you have rytm+unit then you can set OUT > IN and then THRU > fx unit

damn midi routings… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Annoying thing is I have a mioXL that can do this perfectly but im trying to create a small mobile rack for a dawless jam setup and I dont have the space for it. Main sequencer is a cirklon which has 5 in/outs so i really dont want another midi patch bay in this rack. I’m hoping i can patch this in the Cirklon.

1 Like

Sussed it. I can put the FX on a seperate out port in Cirklon and use that in port for the thru. I can route the output of the Rytm to that port too. Phew.

1 Like