No

Haven’t you heard the news? Abandoned Cycles have split up.
Three will go on as Cycles and one as Abandoned Model.

2 Likes

I hope they get some love in the future, but they are certainly useable as-is. Any updates will probably be minor bug fixes, quality-of-life changes, and maybe a new feature or two (option to change attack type would be AMAZING but we can only dream)

honestly at this point I’d take the second LFO over attack manipulation

2 Likes

Elektron released new machines for Syntakt which resemble the structure of Cycles machines so they are not dependent on Ess for that. Truth is Cycles is a budget Elektron and priority for updating it is quite low.

Truth is we have no clue.

Wise truth.
Can’t be said enough.
Although it’s ace to receive free updates, you buy an instrument for what it already does.

And Cycles is much fun.

3 Likes

honestly so is the samples! they’re both lovely instruments and their structure forces you to play with them as such. Lots to love with either

This is exactly what I am hoping for when I am talking about update, second LFO or attack manipulation and slide/portamento function. Do you think it could happen? I am not sure how weak the model cpu is compared to syntakt but I assume portamento/added LFO does not need much power?

The big difference as far as I understand it is the cycles has a special structures for the specific knobs per machine which requires “special” effort to create new machine for it. I do not believe you can just add machine as easy as on the syntakt, at least from reading Ess answer on the subject…

honestly not sure, I know a lot of elektron boxes all share the same basic CPU chip, so it’s more about the utilization than anything.

I would looove slide trigs so much especially on the Cycles, feels like a real missed opportunity with how the machines work

1 Like

I love my M:C. Every time I plan to sell it I pull it out to use one last time and then I end up making something that I really like and decide to keep it. The Digitone is awesome and way more powerful of course, but I find myself using the M:C more often, just because of its limitations and knob per function. It’s just so enjoyable to pick up and play.

2 Likes

Something one might take as a clue is the fact, that there are a few bugs Elektron is aware of and that have not been fixed in a long time now. April last year I was told by the support, that they plan to do it, but don’t have an ETA yet. But who knows… maybe it’s a good sign and they will fix it in one go with a bigger update

know nothing about it, but it is an implementation challenge, not a design one. if they managed to recreate cycles machines on syntakt and create new ones, then I see no reason why elektron would be blocked by Ess departure.

1 Like

That’s got nothing to do with it being abandoned or not. It would be ILLEGAL to sell it in many countries, because it was unsafe and was recalled.

https://bp1-support.elektron.se/

So that’s why you can’t find it.

3 Likes

nevermind :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’d say that if you think there’s a chance that you could live with it the way it currently is, buy a used one. If you don’t like it you can certainly resell it and break even.
For whatever it’s worth, I think the m:c is fantastic as is. Updates would be fine but I don’t think there’s anything really holding it back now, you just have to be flexible in the way you go about doing some things. It reminds me of a lot of old school gear in that way, it requires creative workarounds, and I like that.
I actually prefer my m:c to my dn (unpopular opinion I’m sure). I’ll probably sell the dn soon but I’d grab a second m:c if I saw one on the cheap. I like it enough that I’m tempted by the m:s too.

2 Likes

Don’t buy anything expecting years of updates. Expectations seem a bit unrealistic there if that’s why you’re wanting to buy anything.

Abandoned implies there are longstanding hardware and software bugs that will not be resolved.

It is feature complete, the official “battery handle” accessory may not have proved worth the engineering. but the functionality can be utilized with any battery.

The only flaw with the devices of any concern for me is the small PSU barrel that can get jostled when using on soft surfaces like a couch or lap, but with that knowledge it will likely not be radically modified.

“Is something going to happen” is not really a useful question.

Do you like the sound as is? Is there something better for your needs NOW?

Assume that this is all you will ever have and be happy if something changes with something you already love. Today :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Roland ‘abandoned’ the TR-808 decades ago. I’d be willing to bet a person could still somehow get music out of it.

7 Likes

The ecc-5b case for the Models was only released a few months ago in September.

2 Likes

Korg abandoned the old gen Electribes over a decade ago. They’re still funky as shit.

If you like the Models, just get them. They’re fine as is and worst case scenario, they’re already really groovy. Best case scenario, they get even better down the line.

Just getting one is one of them free lunches win win scenarios.

8 Likes

For reference.

Its more about how I am thinking of two different choices one being the cycles with very solid sequencer and elektron workflow and a type of sound that I really like and the other with more sound design options, slightly weaker sequencer, lower price point, actual portability and what seems like better support from its company.

I think I will end up buying a second hand cycles still because I do love the sequencer and the low headroom type of sounds but I will greatly miss stuff like portamento/attack control/second LFO!

1 Like

the low headroom combined with the distortion per track is one of my favorite parts of the M:C, dialing in a mix just right to get some of the clipping artifacts is so much fun

5 Likes

I love the cycles, but it definitely makes me wish I could afford a syntakt for the added features. I’m kind of baffled that they didn’t put a dedicated attack control in the models, it would have made them much easier to use

1 Like