No

Something one might take as a clue is the fact, that there are a few bugs Elektron is aware of and that have not been fixed in a long time now. April last year I was told by the support, that they plan to do it, but don’t have an ETA yet. But who knows… maybe it’s a good sign and they will fix it in one go with a bigger update

know nothing about it, but it is an implementation challenge, not a design one. if they managed to recreate cycles machines on syntakt and create new ones, then I see no reason why elektron would be blocked by Ess departure.

1 Like

That’s got nothing to do with it being abandoned or not. It would be ILLEGAL to sell it in many countries, because it was unsafe and was recalled.

https://bp1-support.elektron.se/

So that’s why you can’t find it.

3 Likes

nevermind :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’d say that if you think there’s a chance that you could live with it the way it currently is, buy a used one. If you don’t like it you can certainly resell it and break even.
For whatever it’s worth, I think the m:c is fantastic as is. Updates would be fine but I don’t think there’s anything really holding it back now, you just have to be flexible in the way you go about doing some things. It reminds me of a lot of old school gear in that way, it requires creative workarounds, and I like that.
I actually prefer my m:c to my dn (unpopular opinion I’m sure). I’ll probably sell the dn soon but I’d grab a second m:c if I saw one on the cheap. I like it enough that I’m tempted by the m:s too.

2 Likes

Don’t buy anything expecting years of updates. Expectations seem a bit unrealistic there if that’s why you’re wanting to buy anything.

Abandoned implies there are longstanding hardware and software bugs that will not be resolved.

It is feature complete, the official “battery handle” accessory may not have proved worth the engineering. but the functionality can be utilized with any battery.

The only flaw with the devices of any concern for me is the small PSU barrel that can get jostled when using on soft surfaces like a couch or lap, but with that knowledge it will likely not be radically modified.

“Is something going to happen” is not really a useful question.

Do you like the sound as is? Is there something better for your needs NOW?

Assume that this is all you will ever have and be happy if something changes with something you already love. Today :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Roland ‘abandoned’ the TR-808 decades ago. I’d be willing to bet a person could still somehow get music out of it.

7 Likes

The ecc-5b case for the Models was only released a few months ago in September.

2 Likes

Korg abandoned the old gen Electribes over a decade ago. They’re still funky as shit.

If you like the Models, just get them. They’re fine as is and worst case scenario, they’re already really groovy. Best case scenario, they get even better down the line.

Just getting one is one of them free lunches win win scenarios.

8 Likes

For reference.

Its more about how I am thinking of two different choices one being the cycles with very solid sequencer and elektron workflow and a type of sound that I really like and the other with more sound design options, slightly weaker sequencer, lower price point, actual portability and what seems like better support from its company.

I think I will end up buying a second hand cycles still because I do love the sequencer and the low headroom type of sounds but I will greatly miss stuff like portamento/attack control/second LFO!

1 Like

the low headroom combined with the distortion per track is one of my favorite parts of the M:C, dialing in a mix just right to get some of the clipping artifacts is so much fun

5 Likes

I love the cycles, but it definitely makes me wish I could afford a syntakt for the added features. I’m kind of baffled that they didn’t put a dedicated attack control in the models, it would have made them much easier to use

1 Like

the fact, that there are a few bugs Elektron is aware of and that have not been fixed in a long time now.

It’d help if the specific bugs were explicitly mentioned, annoyances or blockers for a particular workflow (and whether workarounds existed.)

Yeah, perfectly reasonable.

one being the cycles with very solid sequencer and elektron workflow and a type of sound that I really like and the other with more sound design options , slightly weaker sequencer , lower price point , actual portability and what seems like better support from its company .

Was the other mentioned? I didn’t see that there or here.

By design, a Lowheadroomenjoyer should be great with a M:C :slight_smile:

1 Like

You are right. Reading it again, I think my post could create the wrong impression, that the M:C is very buggy. It’s definitely not, but overall pretty stable and flawless.

I was mainly thinking about the bug (singular) I had reported back then: Punch can be plocked ON when default to OFF, but not the opposite. For me, that’s actually the only one I can reliably reproduce and it’s not that much of an annoyance. (There is the „mute mode" bug, which many consider to be a feature I believe.) Otherwise my unit freezes maybe twice a year and sometimes exhibits random oddities I never give much thought to…

2 Likes

I don’t see the correlation between the price increase and abandonment of the product. I would be surprised to see another update but in truth I don’t think they need updating. A bug fix or two would be cool for those who found any (I didn’t thankfully) but other than that, they’re pretty solid and really fun.

1 Like

1 Like

The two model are really quite good.
I prefer the sample, the support of wavetable are quite nice on it. There is some pack around in Elektronauts which make the model:sample shine.
The filter on the model:sample is not my taste but for drum it’s okay.
Really impressed by the capacity to do drum track on the model cycle.
Really a cool small drum box, but I am not able to make convincing synth track on it. Hope some of the synth of the syntakt or new one will be available in the future.
But if you use it for drum the cycle is impressive!

1 Like

Just some observations as I’m trying to guess the answer to the original question:

• The latest M:C firmware (1.13) was released almost two years ago, may 2021.
  • The version before that (1.11/1.12) has a thread here on Elektronauts from February 2020, 15 months before 1.13.
  • Clearly they haven’t prioritized major firmware updates on it in the past 3 years, so I see little reason why they would prioritize it any higher in the future.
  • Financially, it makes more sense to keep evolving the mid-tier devices that are generating the bulk of their revenue. I’m guessing that’s currently the DT/DN/ST series.
  • They were probably burnt quite badly from the battery handle fiasco and I wouldn’t be surprised if development on the Model series become stigmatized after that.
  • They also haven’t tried to rectify it with a proper re-release of the battery handle. Maybe they collected enough data to conclude that they wouldn’t be selling enough of them?

All in all, no, I don’t think they’ve necessarily “abandoned” the Model series, but I also don’t think this is where they’re focused as a business.

1 Like

This kind of rumour gets thrown around a lot here, mostly about the Octatrack; it’s the first time I’ve seen it for the Models. I think it’s unfair to say that one person leaving a company means that they’ll stop working on a product. When you work for a company and are involved in the creation of products for them, you don’t get to take all of your work with you when you leave.

The idea that a company suddenly becomes incapable of continuing work on a product just because someone who worked on it left is absurd.

10 Likes