No

Nevermind :slight_smile: .

I don´t think they abandoned the Models. I don´t see any evidence to support that. Elektron is kinda notorious for dropping big updates with additional features seemingly out of nowhere - even for already discontinued devices, so you never know.

You can write to them, see what they have to say about it, that´s probably best.

3 Likes

Abandoned Cycles sounds like a nerdpop band.

22 Likes

If the Models are abandoned, so are the Analog 4 and Analog Rytm.

Also, at ÂŁ350 for a new Model Cycles, ÂŁ100 more will get you a used Digitone.

5 Likes

imo, just get a used Model:Cycles and enjoy it. There are some drawbacks compared to the more expensive boxes, but it’s an amazing box for the (used) price.

Companies like Elektron rarely commit to anything publicly anyway. If you’re interested and can afford it, just snag one and enjoy what it can do right now without worrying about possible updates.

13 Likes

Yeah, definitely! Don´t buy anything based on the possibility for future updates. It´s not like they´re riddled with bugs or bad instruments. Do you have the chance to test them in a music store or maybe at a friend´s house? If not, you could always sell them, so not much to lose there. :slight_smile:

1 Like

If this wasn’t the title of an album by Belle and Sebastian, I’m contacting Stuart Murdoch to tell him it should be the title of their next one

4 Likes

Yeah, that thing is history. They had to do a call back due to manufacturing issues. You can still power it with a power bank, though.

Syntakt is new, song mode for the Digis was requested for years. The Octatrack got an update at his 10th anniversary. :slight_smile: I´m not saying do expect updates for the Models. They´re their entry level grooveboxes, but there´s really nothing that points to them being abandoned.

I don´t have one, but the lfo can probably be used for attack/fade ins) and also for pitch slides. It´s a workaround, but such workarounds tend to be a source of happy accidents and interesting sounds, you otherwise wouldn´t have found. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I paid ÂŁ350 for a used Digitone last week which is pretty ridiculous.
There was one on Gumtree for £415 earlier today…

4 Likes

Buy a machine for what it is now, and not what you hope it will be. The Models are fun boxes and work as advertised. They may never receive another firmware update. If you need more features, then save up for a Digi or Syntakt box.

13 Likes

Holy cow. I thought the ÂŁ430 for mine was a steal!

While the Cycle has 6 tracks and the Digitone has 4, the digitone has 8 voices so by sound locking steps, you can put 2 sounds on a track and they won’t cancel each other out.

The 2nd lfo on its own is worth the extra and song Mode is the cherry on top.

2 Likes

You have to realize that the Model boxes are at the bottom rung of the product ladder. They are a cheap(ish), entry-level product designed to give you a taste of the Elektron workflow. Adjust your expectations for future updates accordingly. That said, a used Model:Samples may be the best value for money available today. Even if it never received another update, it’s an underrated powerhouse

2 Likes

Haven’t you heard the news? Abandoned Cycles have split up.
Three will go on as Cycles and one as Abandoned Model.

2 Likes

I hope they get some love in the future, but they are certainly useable as-is. Any updates will probably be minor bug fixes, quality-of-life changes, and maybe a new feature or two (option to change attack type would be AMAZING but we can only dream)

honestly at this point I’d take the second LFO over attack manipulation

2 Likes

Elektron released new machines for Syntakt which resemble the structure of Cycles machines so they are not dependent on Ess for that. Truth is Cycles is a budget Elektron and priority for updating it is quite low.

Truth is we have no clue.

Wise truth.
Can’t be said enough.
Although it’s ace to receive free updates, you buy an instrument for what it already does.

And Cycles is much fun.

3 Likes

honestly so is the samples! they’re both lovely instruments and their structure forces you to play with them as such. Lots to love with either

This is exactly what I am hoping for when I am talking about update, second LFO or attack manipulation and slide/portamento function. Do you think it could happen? I am not sure how weak the model cpu is compared to syntakt but I assume portamento/added LFO does not need much power?

The big difference as far as I understand it is the cycles has a special structures for the specific knobs per machine which requires “special” effort to create new machine for it. I do not believe you can just add machine as easy as on the syntakt, at least from reading Ess answer on the subject…

honestly not sure, I know a lot of elektron boxes all share the same basic CPU chip, so it’s more about the utilization than anything.

I would looove slide trigs so much especially on the Cycles, feels like a real missed opportunity with how the machines work

1 Like

I love my M:C. Every time I plan to sell it I pull it out to use one last time and then I end up making something that I really like and decide to keep it. The Digitone is awesome and way more powerful of course, but I find myself using the M:C more often, just because of its limitations and knob per function. It’s just so enjoyable to pick up and play.

2 Likes