Are some of you HAPPY (or don't care) you don't have OB on the OT?

Don’t care

2 Likes

stereo mix ftw. commit, commit, commit!!

6 Likes

I’d love overbridge on the OT. I’ll sometimes record track for track, which works, but it just would be easier. And it’d be cool to capture the performance per track while recording.

1 Like

I am indifferent about it. It could be cool to have (specifically for multiple outs into the DAW) the issues for me is the OB is too wonky for me to really care about it. I fully enjoy working with the Elektron machines so I see no need for the the plug ins in terms of editing but I love the idea of USB over audio with multi outs but the main problem with OB and the single reason I still don’t use it is because the audio doesn’t properly sync with other non-audio over usb hardware, so when I hit play on Ableton and my AR, A4 and Digitone is sending audio over midi via overbridge that audio is always out of sync with the audio from the OT, MDUW, Monomachine, Korg minilouge, Pro 2 etc etc. if that was fixed I would be into OB but from what I’ve heard it’s more a limitation of audio over USB than a bug in OB though I don’t know for sure.
Though on a side note it would be interesting to see the OT’s file structure, project structure etc in a plug in it could be useful, the OT is the only Elektron device that could benefit from having a GUI, all the other boxes are easy to understand and navigate but OB for the OT will likely never happen anyways

I love spending a long time on an ITB mix, but I always like the end result better when I work fast on an analog mixer, even if it’s a utilitarian thing like the Mackie 3204 I’m using now that doesn’t really have anything special going on other tha a good feature set in a small, reliable box.

1 Like

OB is great imho because:

1. Bigger UI with a different layout and standalone mode

A4/AR mk1 screen is… small so working with OB is easier and makes me think differently (like having direct access to the velocity on the DFAM, it’s right in front of me so I use it a lot whereas the velocity mod of the AR being in a sub sub menu, I just tend to forget about it. OB gives me a new way of interacting with the box and that can be creative). Not having to open the DAW is huge for me, one less point of failure to handle.

2. Realtime view of a parameter being LFOed

I find it quite useful to see how the LFO affects a parameter. You can’t see that on the box. When I want a really precise setting, that comes in handy.

3. stereo audio over USB

I can just plug my A4, AR, DN with 3 USB cables and record all of them at the same time. me love less cables.

4. individual tracks over USB (but there’s a catch)

Recording both stereo and individual tracks with just one cable? yes. Individual tracks can be used as sound sources for new samples or new tracks (never done that though haha) or to blend the stereo and some individual tracks with different weird effects you couldn’t get OTB.

The catch is… the individual tracks are mono and you don’t get the wet signal, only the dry signal… (Please let me set the effects to be either mix or send on a per track basis). That can be a plus of course but… missing the stereo info, especially when you’re playing with the LFO is a shame. And some sounds with reverbs/delay are just not the same without it. But as I said, the dry signal can still be food for something else.

5. OB as an audio interface expander

I often use my DN as 2 extra inputs for my audio interface. With A4/AR/DN, this gives me 6 inputs and I can add effects to the inputs (the reverb and the delay are really nice imho)

6. 5 Bonus: Realtime processing possible because OB does not hijack your audio interface.

This is huge for me.
I use OB in standalone mode and it works along side my Apollo Twin X.
I route OB to the Virtual Console of the Apollo at 96khz/64 buffer size: 0.7ms of latency.
I often use the inputs of my Apollo for mono synth/vocal to record live with my Elektron box. It just works. no latency. Everything plays together: OB stuffs and non OB stuffs. It saves me some space as I don’t need a real mixer (the virtual console can do that just fine).

If I could send individual tracks to the Virtual Console instead of the stereo that would be just perfect.

7. Total recall

I don’t use it tbh but being able to use your A4/AR/DN/ST… as a plugin in a DAW with automation and go wild outside of the 64 steps pattern “limitations” is def a plus if you just like the sound engine but feel limited by the sequencer (I am not so I don’t use that feature)

8. Your box is an FX plugin

You can route the audio from your computer to the A4/AR (and of course AH) via OB to use the analog voices of the machine… That could be done directly with the inputs of course but you can set a soft synth you like, add some sparkles and go back in DAW and less… cables.

If we could do that with the OT without having to bounce a stem then import/export, that would be fun to experiment with some VCV/Reaktor stuffs in real time.

So all in all, yes, OT+OB would be fun, even with just number 8 in mind.

But! An SD card to deal with samples is just dead simple. That should be the norm with all their samplers

2 Likes

Yes, the lack of all these things doesn’t make me happy!

1 Like

Personally could care less about OB, it’s something I would never use even if it did come out for the OT. I felt the same way about the TI aspects for all the Virus keyboards I’ve owned, just didn’t add anything to my workflow and only seemed to delay development of the hardware updates.

1 Like

have never used overbridge on any of my elektron boxes. would probably only feel the need for it on the octatrack. not the vst plugin, just the multitrack audio over usb. it would completely change my recording workflow. everything in my setup goes through the octatrack, so i have just accepted the fact that im going to have to record to a single stereo track in the daw every time

1 Like

Personally, I’m trying to get USB out of my workflow entirely, the only thing left to do is get an AVB entry point so I can get my audio switched over to ethernet and an RTP-midi capable interface so I can get my MIDI switched over to ethernet.

Both of those are way outside my budget for now, unfortunately, although in a pinch I could finally build an ethernet board for my MIDIbox SEQ and use it as my MIDI interface, demote the old MOTU to router duties only.

Audio over USB has some issues but it’s much better than MIDI so I can live with it (but I’d love the lower latency, routing possibilities and (at least in theory) better stability that AVB (or Dante, but I don’t have anything that supports it) should have.

Point is, no I don’t miss Overbridge (but I’d have used ADAT optical for multitrack output if the OT had it and I was still using an interface that supported it).

Don’t care one way or the other. Personally I never use overbridge. I don’t think it’s suitable for my workflow

Don’t care at all.

…ob for ot would be a dream…of course…that will never happen…of course…

once a truu new ot concept will be announced…it will talk ob…of course…

but i was always happy to record ot’s two stereo pairs in two or three takes max to capture the magic anyways, somehow…

1 Like

I’d love OB on the OT, but if it were up to me I just want 1 more pair of stereo inputs and 2 more tracks 🥲

You’re talking about analog synths; OT is digital = no AD conversion needed

I don’t care. If I enjoyed using FL Studio I probably would have settled on some outboard controller and never got to an OT. I’m not the ‘mastering’ audiophile type. Cassette’s are my mastering, with maybe using cool edit pro to normalize audio if it needs a boost.

General_Lee

8 Likes

I think a pair of adat outputs would please many people.
Less latency, somewhat less computer driver fuss (just use an interface you might already have).

But I get on just fine with the OT exactly as it is. If anything, the limitations push me more toward using the FX with more intention. As such, I only use one stereo out pair. Haven’t used outs 3+4 in quite some time. (Analog Heat helps keep it sounding good!)

What I’d like more than OB or ADAT is HPF sidechain on compressor page 2, and a master FX scheme that doesn’t require losing the 8th track. (In fact, the main reason i use a master track is for compression that I need to p-lock, thanks to the absence of HPF SC) But now I’m getting into wishlist territory… so no, I don’t care about OB on OT.

1 Like

OB for me is the cherry on the cake, it’s great, nice for automation, sound management, with a nice interface.
But… like with the Virus TI or some VSTs I had some years ago from Native Instruments sooner or later it’s doomed to be obsolete and unusable. It’s a nice bonus for the time being but I prefer features I can still use in 20 years (like more physical in and outs).

2 Likes

I think it depends on what they were able to do with OB on the OT. I have an A4 and for the most part, do not use OB at all. However, there is one areas where it is really, really helpful–the ease of creating multiple Macros for performances, which is pretty tedious to do (meaning I don’t usually do this) on the A4 unless I am using OB. I can imagine a situation in which it becomes much easier to create complex Scenes with OB on the OT, even though it isn’t too difficult without OB. Perhaps there are other OT workflows that would be rendered much easier with OB than without it. Hard to say.