Are some of you HAPPY (or don't care) you don't have OB on the OT?

I don’t use OB either :slight_smile:

I just record stereo mains, whichever setup I use

1 Like

Just don’t forget to make a tabletop video about, you sellout.*

(*as requested)

I will, and it will be :fire::fire::fire:

1 Like

If you start filming now you can release it in January 2022

Like the Boyhood of Firmware

1 Like

Maths

1 Like

I bought my OT around the time that my computer at the time was starting to die.

I was headed towards ITB land, having just gotten Ableton Live Suite and Max For Live. Then the computer started to act up, so I started looking at hardware.

By the time Elektron introduced OB for devices younger than the OT, I was hardly using Live, other than adding a track or two to my friend’s mix. The computer headphone jack stopped working, then one of the fans. I took it to a repair shop and was told the motherboard was shot.

I don’t care about something that I don’t use nor looks like something I want to use.

1 Like

yeah, but what does everyone think about song mode for the Digi boxes…?

Don’t care, doubt I’d use it. More analog outputs is always better but 4 is doing the job (and if I could only have one or the other I’d take 4 outs on 1/4" over 8 per-track stereo outs on 1/8" any day)

3 Likes

I like being out of my DAW when I can and the OT definitely helps with that.
It’s not a big deal to print stuff back in over a few passes.

I used to think OB was the greatest concept but often ditch the multi-track capabilities since it separates the FX and that just bloats and overcomplicates my sessions. I find myself utilizing OB mostly as stereo direct inputs more than anything else.

EDIT: Patch recall on the DN when the plugin loads is nice.

2 Likes

…oh, if ob would be simply an external, simple as solid plug and play like standalone protocol that just captures all the elektron realtime magic into individual wav stems/files, we all would use it…

3 Likes

I tried OB on my A4, did not like it at all. Can safely say I would not use it on the OT either. Class compliant usb audio could have been nice in some cases, I guess.

If anything, more line ins and outs would have been cool. I’d use those, and would have bought an «expanded OT» if one came along.

2 Likes

I don’t care. I like the editor/librarian capabilities for my DN (and the solid DAW-to-hardware sync it provides) and AK, but I don’t use the audio-over-USB functionalities. I don’t care at all that the OT doesn’t have it, it’s a different device, it’s a “performance sampler” and that’s how I use it. It just would add more complexity to my rig.

2 Likes

I loved OB for a while but the latency and CPU chug was painful. Migrated to an ERM and that solved all clocking issues. Now i do all my composing in hardware and can record into ableton with no headaches.

Really is a pleasure to mainly just use ableton for mixing and audio editing.

3 Likes

I was kind of expecting it especially in relation to OT because that is not what the OT was originally intended for anyway. Of course it’s wonderful that Elektron ‘develop’ but sometimes on this forum there are posts that sound very ‘entitled’ and I just don’t get that at all. Personally I found some of the hoohah on this forum regarding OB early on during development and delayed release quite irritating. It was pretty amazing that Elektron were further developing a platform for pre existing devices and giving it away for free.
The world of tech and updates has changed so much. It amazes me that products are released and not fully fledged / tested in advance before public release.
We’ve all become unpaid testers and guinea pigs and that may be progress but I find it both wonderful and fucking annoying.
Check out the Polyend Tracker thread… it’s rife with moaners when it’s an incredible device that has had a myriad of REGULAR FREE SUBSTANTIAL updates - it just get’s better and better…
The mind boggles sometimes.

6 Likes

I know what you mean. It is easier to say “F@#$ You!” online than “Thank You!”. I don’t know why.
The release of the beautiful Polyend Tracker was the tool that made me study the OT a bit deeper again. And we have so many tutorials on the OT right now.
I am learning as much as I can about the machine before its purchase. The technical, and the philosophical aspects.

I am used to the challenge of getting much of the work done in the OT and two stereo outs, so it usually comes down to basics like sample selection or impatience if a track doesn’t fly. Not additional processing/mixing later. I can imagine having that luxury but really not necessary. “Containment” is actually an environment I thrive in.

2 Likes

I agree - the Polyend Tracker is really quite special. And beautiful too!
I wanted an OT for many years but found it difficult to justify it already having other samplers and being an Ableton user since it’s first release… I realise now that I was totally missing the point and missing out.
My music creation habits have evolved away from the computer though I’d still use Ableton for final production work. To be honest I am just sick of computers and it is so refreshing to sit down with an OT, a few other pieces of gear and a hand held Tascam recorder. There’s something so live and vital about the process again and it’s just what I needed. I can’t recommend getting an OT any more highly!

2 Likes

I used OB a lot when I had my AR and A4.

Now the only OB compatible device I have is Heat MK1. It is pretty nifty to use in a DAW.

But otherwise, all the other gear I have, going into the 18 analog inputs I have over MOTU interfaces via USB, it’s really just fine. I don’t miss OB. I don’t even use the 3/4 outputs on the OT. Importing samples with any FX baked in that I might want beyond OT’s FX capabilities has meant I mostly use EQ and Compressors in the OT FX slots, and this gets me a good mix out of the stereo output. Analog Heat and the master track compressor also helps glue it all together.

The only time, lately, I’ve been super appreciative of the Overbridge experience was in learning the envelope follower on the AH. But now that I’ve done that, I can adapt that knowledge to just using the hardware interface, and I no longer need the graphic interface for it.

YMMV, but there’s something to be said for getting the most out of just one stereo output pair.

5 Likes

I don’t care because I use a mixer with aux sends. And my workflow would crash and burn if it were based on overbridge.

3 Likes

OT lacking OB doesn’t make me happy at all!

2 Likes