I just bought the softstep2 to control my AR
I want to control the following parameters:
Tempo (up/down)
Pattern change (up/down)
Skip to last pattern
Return to first pattern

And less priority but still desired:
Scene change
Performance manipulation (pressure sensitive)

Reckon these are all possible and if so, which cc number would i use for them? Bank select? … program change? (0/32)

I’m hoping i can program something like:
Pedal 1 = pattern change (nav pad selects up/down pattern)
Pedal 2 = tempo (nav pad selects up/down tempo)
Pedal 3 = skip to first pattern
Pedal 4 = skip to last pattern
Pedal 5 = scene change (nav pad selects up/down scene)
Pedal 6 = performance manipulation (nav pad selects up/down mode)

Any guidance would be amazing!
Niq

You can definitely control the scene and perfs via midi. All the CC’s are in the manual in an appendix.

Not sure about tempo or relative pattern changes. Program change/bank sel will work though.

2 Likes

About the softstep, what do you use as a usb host? I’m looking for something reliable and portable

The only way to externally control the AR’s tempo is by synchronizing it to an external source of MIDI clock messages. The SoftStep 2 cannot do this.

The AR can change its pattern in response to MIDI Program Change messages. I think that you can program the SoftStep 2 in its Advanced Editor software to increment and decrement the Program Change number.

As stated previously, the scene can be selected by sending the appropriate value of CC message 92 and the 12 performances can be controlled using CC messages listed in Appendix C of the AR’s manual.

1 Like

Thanks for the help peter & dizzy!
I’ll try all that.
I had to leave my gear behind while I tour Europe and will only have a short space of time to program the soft step, so much appreciated!
Niq
… oh and what hardware/software do i need to externally control the clock with my feet?

Prinzabu - KMI recommends using their one… so i took their advice. It wasn’t much more expensive anyway…

1 Like

I have another idea Peter…
See if you think it could work…
Can i control chain mode from the soft step 2?
I think this will be a more flexible option than controlling patterns.
Niq

By “control chain mode”, do you mean move between patterns in the chain? As far as I know this cannot be controlled by MIDI.

The AR only responds to transport (start & stop) and Program Change (to switch to a specific pattern) messages.

Yes. That is what i meant. That’s a pity. Oh well… back to pattern changes then.

You mentioned CC#92 earlier for when talking about performance changes.
I checked a CC midi list and it said #92 is for
“Effects 2 Depth (default: Tremolo Depth)”
Is that what you meant?
It doesn’t sound like the appropriate CC # to me…?
Am i missing something?

I’m hoping the softstep2 will automatically recognise a button pressed on the AR which will make the process easier…

I did mean MIDI CC 92.

Perhaps you are consulting a generic list of CC messages from the basic MIDI specification.

The list of MIDI CC messages that Elektron implemented on the AR is given in Appendix C of the manual (page 79 of the current AR MkII manual), where it says that CC 92 controls the active scene.

I don’t have a SoftStep 2 or an AR but I doubt that this is possible for control buttons.

Ah yes. I see that now.
Thanks

1 Like