AR Program Change Send - Step by step

Here’s a request from someone who notices more and more that he is an absolute MIDI dummy (despite reading and Youtube).

I would like to perform a program change from my Analog Rytm mk2 when changing patterns on devices connected to Midi (PRG CH SEND, as in the new manual on page 58 mentioned).

Is there a step-by-step guide somewhere that leads me to this goal (maybe even for the AR and for the other device that receives the program change. In my case e.g. a Prophet 12 or Deepmind 12)?
Or if not. What do I have to know to understand how it works and where can I get these informations?

The forum here is great, but often the questions are such that I don’t understand the questions or the answers. The same applies to the manual.

Most manuals assume that the owner has some basic knowledge of MIDI already, and only provide a list of settings within the instruments and a description of what they do.

You already have a good idea of what you want to achieve - use MIDI Program Change messages to change program on your synths when the AR MkII changes its pattern.

The required steps for doing this with the Prophet 12 are:

Connections:
Connect MIDI Out port of the AR to the MIDI In port of the P12.

Prophet 12:
In the Global Settings, set “MIDI channel” to be a specific number (for example, 16)

AR MkII:
In the GLOBAL SETTINGS > MIDI CONFIG > SYNC menu:

• Activate PROG CH SEND

In the GLOBAL SETTINGS > MIDI CONFIG > PORT CONFIG menu:

• Set OUT PORT FUNC to “MIDI”
  • Set OUTPUT TO to “MIDI”

In the GLOBAL SETTINGS > MIDI CONFIG > CHANNELS menu:

• Set PROGRAM CHANGE OUT CHANNEL to match the MIDI channel number of the P12 (for example, 16)

Now when you change pattern on the AR MkII, the P12’s Program will change accordingly. Changing to pattern A01 will select program 1 in the current bank, pattern A02 will select program 2 in the current bank, pattern B01 will select program 17 in the current bank, and so on.

Try this to make sure it works as you expect, and let us know. No doubt you will have more questions as you continue with your gear in future.

8 Likes

Hey Peter, thank you so much! I tested it yesterday and it worked perfectly.
You would be a perfect MIDI mentor:-)

I’ve noticed that, too. I work hard on my MIDI knowledge, but from the basics (wiring, click send etc.) to what I want to do with MIDI, it’s still a long but fascinating way.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot mate… it helped me too
Big up

2 Likes