AR MK2 pads, sensitivity changes over time? Difference on black vs grey units?

I am owning a used MK2 wich had the famous cross talk problem where some pads in mute mode were also muting other pads. So Elektron send me an additional foil to solve this issue. The issue is solved now. Thanks a lot for the great support to Elektron

What I noticed though that the pad sensitivity on my friends new MK2 is way higher than on mine. So I am actually able to finger drum quite well on his one. On my device I have to hit the pads pretty hard so I am using the fixed setting most of the time.

Is this something that happens over time or is there something that has changed in the newer devices ?

Thanks a lot
Regards Jens

Do you mean that you’re able to consistently transition between lower and higher velocities on his AR MKII?

I’m also interested on this as my AR MKII (Grey) showed the cross talk problem from the very beginning and also Elektron sent me the foil which fixed the issue. But the pads are not useable for finger drumming, at least not in the real finger-drumming sense where you play multiple pads at the same time each with individual finger.

The only playable way with velocity is to play a single pad at a time with two fingers.

Yes. On the new MK2 it’s actually possible to fingerdrum. Not as good as on a MPC but quite OK.

Maybe it has to do with some firmware limitations that they implemented on Grey MK2s to sort of broadly mitigate the cross triggering issue.

Meaning is possible that the old Grey MKII firmware has differences from the black ones, the RGB lights color scheme is one of the differences, but another one might be the velocity sensitivity reduced to mitigate this issue (which would be a terrible choice if true)…

I don’t think so. The firmware is the same for both. Led color might be just the difference of the actual LED color (hardware) they used.

Yes is the same firmware, but whenever you install the firmware it recognise if it’s a Grey or Black unit and applies different settings (for example the RGB color scheme).

Ahh OK. That could be the case. Do you know this for sure or is it a guess ? Problem is that most people probably do not have the chance to compare black and grey here. And the black one I can use is brand new.

It’s just a guess but is very possible.

Just the grey units had the cross talk problem ?

AR MK2 Grey Firmware 1.70, I can finger drum on the pads with no issues

However it is a different experience than the MPC one

The pad sensitivity improved with time

Black or grey ? How old ? :wink:

AFAIK yes and they implemented the “foil fix” on the black units from factory, and my guess is that at that point they “split” the firmware settings between Grey and Black units, they surely did as they have introduced a sigthly different RGB color scheme but my guess is that they also have reduced sensitivity on the Grey ones to avoid having to potentially recall all the Grey units to fit this “foil fix”.

It’s just speculation but to me seems to be the most logical possibility…

Just amended my comment

My unit was purchased new

Initially I could not fingedrum, with the time the pads become more sensitive and responsive

But again it is different than MPC fingerdrumming

Yeah different than MPC for sure also on the black one. But a pretty big difference between grey and black. The black is not as good as an MPC but quite OK.

I have never tried a Black one so I cannot comment but I would think it is the same

Please can you explain in detail what is the difference you’re experiencing?

I have an AR MKII in black from 2023, I have to hit the pads really hard to hear a sound (so I always turn on FIX). Also in performance mode I have to mash those buttons in to come near the max of my macro. Which feels kinda dumb, I’d prefer it to be much more lighter/sensitive.

I mean, what I really would prefer is the possibility to change the sensitivity in the settings.

2 Likes

Try this:

• put both machines in MUTE mode and tap one of the pads as lightly as you can but still registering the mute on/off activation.

• while tapping the pad lightly change the mode to PLAY and se if it trigs the voices with the same sensitivity as the mutes.

If the Black AR triggers the voices at low sensitivity and Grey AR doesn’t (which is the case with Grey AR) then it is most likely a difference in the threshold sensitivity settings baked in firmware.

A workaround is to disable “velocity to vol” in the sound menu and map 2x or 3x “AMP:Volume” at max 127 in “velocity mod”.

Then you turn the amp volume in the AMP page at the minimum level you want, this way you’re getting a steeper curve and some control over the “sensitivity”.

That is at the expense of 1 to 3 velocity mod slots…

1 Like