AR controling Ableton Live?

Hi Elektronauts,

Recent owner of a black AR MK2, It’s love at first sight !
As a rather skilled Octatrack user, I found all I needed in this beautiful machine to “unload” drum duty from the OT. The recent updates, sampling features and MIDI possibilities are awesome…

I’m trying to build a live set with the AR as the master (no OT involved this time to really focus on the sonic and interactive features of the AR). I’m working in Ableton’s session view. AR is sending all of its data (clock, transport, audio, midi tracks, encoder data…) to Live through Overbridge and proper MIDI settings. Everything works like a charm. Along with eboSuite, I have a very flexible audio / midi / video reacting set-up. :heart_eyes:

My main concern now is scaling this to a whole set and thus, trying to have Abelton Live’s scenes and/or clips synced with AR’s patterns and/or banks..

This is not a new subject and I have already read some topics here on the subject. Unfortunately there doesn’t seem to exist a straightforward solution to have a program change from AR (changing pattern) triggering a specific scene in Live’s Session view. This is a quite important piece of the puzzle missing… and could dismiss the dream of keeping AR as the master of the piece.

Why not having Live as the master ? Because I love the idea of being able to create and work on the music on the AR alone (on the couch next the fireplace for example :relaxed:), adjusting tempos per pattern, arranging chains and songs, etc. and having the computer and the DAW come after, not the other way around. Also, this means the musical piece exists on the AR before the DAW and can be used in other contexts (eg. no DAW, Ebosuite video or Live intruments, just the AR audio).

Thus any insight would be greatly appreciated. Am I missing a trick or a workflow that could help me achieve the goal of having a pattern or bank change on AR trigger - ideally a scene change- a progression in Live ?

I’m about to get my hands dirty in CliphX scripting. I have no idea if this is going to help, but I’m a bit afraid of this route as I’d love to keep things as simple as possible…

Thanks for your time and happy jamming holidays !

It is coming… on tuesday :slight_smile:
@Airyck made a max4live device for letting elektrons follow ableton scenes. But he said he’s working on the other way too. You can find details in this thread Elektron Pattern Clips! Now with Arrangement Mode!
Start reading on message 71 or 72…

1 Like

Great news ! I look forward to tuesday then :laughing:
Until then the tip exposed in the thread to use a midi translator to make AR program changes into midi notes to launch scenes in Live is good enough to continue working on my set-up.

Thanks a lot @peterklank !

1 Like