AR Analog Rytm feature request thread

another lfo, more stuff like in the DT update like Eq, low pass… assignable on sample and synth engine independantly

7 Likes

How do you personally go about smooth transitions?

i cant remeber if i wrote this or just thought about but ability to change individual pads to a diff colour or maybe 50% bright or somethig in chromatic mode so you can mark out what key your playing,

2 Likes

Anybody else missing a “HARD REC” or “PUNCH IN” feature?
This is a recording mode present on a lot of other machines, originally coming from the old tape recorders and was also implemented in the MPC series from the start. Feel like this would really make the sequencer complete, and add an extra dimension for organically playing/improvising/creating on the Analog Rytm

GRID REC (Rec button),
LIVE REC (Rec+Play button),
STEP REC (Rec+Stop button)
HARD REC(Rec+Play+Stop button) ?

As on the old multitrack tape machines, you could maybe arm tracks to HARD REC by pressing Func+Rec+Play+Stop, calling up a ‘routing’ page like the Mutes page works, but with RED pads showing Tracks being armed for HARD REC.

Imagine having a loop going, calling up the HARD REC page and selecting eg only the BD and SD Tracks, and go back to Play page. You can now press -Rec+Play+Stop- and play and record an alternate pattern only on the BD and SD Tracks, overwriting until you exit Rec.
-This is useful for creating an alternate pattern, without having to start from scratch, or having dead moments, as you would if you would have to clear the tracks one by one.
-You could also use this technique as a live fill-in-break and then reload the pattern!
-While creating this would be extremely useful to re-record takes. Or to come up with a part while recording, and exit recording when it’s right.
This last technique works very well on eg the ElectroHarmonix 45000 looper, the Pyramid Squarp sequencer, MPCs and other machines too. Because of the tactile flow of the AR this function, I believe, would work especially well on this machine and really take creating on it to another level.

Next update: PAD LOCKS and HARD REC ? If i didn’t already have the ARII, those features might push me to go get it like asap.

2 Likes

On the Rytm or on Elektrons in general?

Really craving the DIgitakt upgrade items for Rytm Mk2.

8 Likes

At the very least Elektron should bring sample start resolution into line with The DT. Why is it taking so long? It can’t be that hard to implement.

14 Likes

This is the most important update I’m waiting for… this is such an obvious downside to the AR compared to the dt right now.

4 Likes

Like, why would you leave it (and 2nd lfo) off if the business hope is for people to upgrade to the AR???

1 Like

cuz then you get people to buy both rather than choosing one over the other. but I don’t think Elektron operate like that, maybe it just takes longer to code the same improvements because of the analog side of stuff?

2 Likes

Does the AR sample engine have the same processor/chip as the DT? Wondering if we facing the dreaded “hardware limitation”

1 Like

Honestly just a Rytm adaptation of the Digi update could save my machine from the chopping block. I let go of the Digitakt less than a week ago and I’m feeling the sellers remorse.

It was insanely difficult to decide which features were more important to me when making the decision but performance features and hardware differences aside, I’m really starting to feel the gaps in functionality.

I know that it is a drum machine at it’s core, but it feels like the elektron box with the most interesting and versatile architecture, yet the least friendly external integration/mod matrix. Imo it narrows it’s viable use cases in a way that all of the other elektrons manage to escape (except the models).

I so often find myself wishing that various features were more tightly integrated (envelope shapes/times/clicks, sample pitch/playback options, compressor sidechain sources and metering, a mixer page for proper gainstaging, etc.)

5 Likes

I would love to know if the MK2 has a higher firmware ceiling than the MK1 or if they’re running on the same timeline.

1 Like

The last major update for both the rytm and A4 came out exactly 1 year ago this month. Hoping elektron has a new update ready to roll out before the holiday buying rush starts (especially since prices had to be raised).

3 Likes

You can make a template where the release is not infinite :slight_smile:

I guess for me the features I think should get added can be put in 3 categories, in order of importance:

1. Things I think the machine now lacks without any logical reason, and are major downsides in terms of usability:
  • samplestart finetuning
  • visual feedback on the compressor
  • a mixer page
  • a way to retrigger the amp envelope
  • the pads to be as sensitive while playing with fixed vel as they are when in mute mode
  1. Things I think we deserve after the last DT update, because right now the flagship AR is lagging behind its little brother:
  • a second lfo
  • a base width filter on the samples
  • sidechaining a track on the compressor
  • new graphics on the screen in line with the DT.
  1. Things that would make this machine a god-tier drummachine/sampler:
  • the 12 variations/pad lock mode as described above
  • samplerate reduction on the samples
  • another synth for chromatic playing besides the dual vco
21 Likes

i will grab mk2 instant if elektron do that :smiley:

1 Like

I actually have faith they’ll come through. afaik they always have.

@TonyBBI I’ve been around too long to take any claim to “hardware limits” with a grain of salt.

3 Likes

There’s definitely hard “hardware limits” ala Octatrack usb chipset, and firmware space availability that might necessitate a refactor of the entire codebase in assembly…

1 Like

i’m really wondering if a digital ( it has to be because it’as a software update we are talking about ) basewidht filter after the excellent analog we already have would be great ? and possible ( the AR audio signal is analog ) ,i’m 100% in for the 2nd LFO tho

1 Like