Apple goes to ARM

A rewrite would be nice though :wink: I hope Ableton sees this as opportunity to improve the overall performance.

I knew this was coming for about 9 months or more. Easier just to use windows and not have to worry about it. The playing field between the two has been levelled quite a lot over the last 20 years. Though without any doubt Apple have the better MIDI/Audio out of the box.

If it’s going to bring strong advantages, great I’m all for it. I can’t help thinking this has at least in part something to do with Hackintoshes, so many people do that now.

I can’t imagine that this is true, there are probably 100 Hackintoshes for every million Macs sold at most. Even if it was 500 (no chance) for every million, still just a tiny tiny blip. They sell something like 15 million Macs every year, without even mentioning the iPhone and iPad products.

I’m sure it has everything to do with cross compatibility between products, and ultimately control over the chips they develop in order to stomp the competition. Just look at the latest crop of iPhones and iPads, no other product can even approach the performance of the top models. Custom.

Anyway, I’ve followed the Hackintosh scene for years and it seems like nothing but constant troubleshooting, broken sound, broken this and that, huge amounts of hassle. I’m sure some have had relatively smooth experiences but… even if you save a little bit of money, how much is your time worth over the long run, let’s say a 5 year period of your machine working properly for a little while, being broken by an update, waiting for someone in the community to engineer a solution, etc etc. Pain in the behind! Not much fun to have decently long stretches of your sound, wifi, etc not working properly.

11 Likes

Apple removing dependencies on external technologies and owning the whole supply chain and value stack is one of their few moves left to grow their business. There are lots of incidental benefits (like iOS apps on Mac, neater enclosure designs etc ), but this is mostly about control and increasing their share of their pie.

5 Likes

I don t buy that at all. If apple wanted to prevent that they would have a whole bunch of much cheaper and less complex methods to do that.

2 Likes

Haha, I didn’t say I was right, I just said I can’t help feeling it. I do like how you failed to mention any of those methods.

I see, so you wrote three paragraphs in response to a fairly throwaway comment, you used the phrase “stomp the opposition” and you also claim to have intricately followed the world of hackintosh over many years despite never wanting to use it.

So do you have the curtains with Apple Logo or just the Bedset?

Calm down.

Lol what? I said “stomp the competition” not opposition, what’s wrong with that? Aren’t they trying to gain an advantage in the marketplace by developing more powerful hardware than their competition? And what’s wrong with following the Hackintosh scene? I never said I follow it intricately, I just check in from time to time to see the state of the scene, because I find it interesting. I did build one years ago actually, but it was a major pain and I encountered quite a few issues over the time I used it. Calm down yourself bud, my comment wasn’t aggressive towards you or hyped up or something, just discussing the topic here. I use Macs and an iPhone at work, Apple builds good hardware and software but they’re not infallible or anything, why are you implying that I’m some fanboy? My personal computer and my laptop are both Windows machines.

Strange that you chose to come at me with a weirdly personal attack…

2 Likes

Great thing about a Hackintosh is it can always be a Windows machine if the software support falls apart.

4 Likes

Well for one it shouldn t be hard for apple devs to take a good look at the popular tools for installing hackintoshes and build in detection for them in OSX and other apple software.

OSX is also super easy to download, share and install anywhere. Copy protection and licensing would make the hackintosh endeavour harder.

As with all digital systems it would not be the goal to completely prevent someone to crack protections, but to make it hard enough that what is seen as a threatful number of breaches is not reached. Given the apparent lack of protection against hackintosh installs so far, it seems like apple hardly sees any threat in it.

The nuance there escapes me. I am not a native english speaker.

Indeed. That s just what i m considering for my ol’ hack. The OSX version on it is hopelessly outdated. Doubting whether i m gonna go the hack reinstall route or just go for win. My other systems are now win anyway, given i don t appreciate apple s current design choices and performance for money ratio.

reminder to everyone, and this reminder is only going to happen once in this thread:

Be nice.

This is a Civilized Place for Public Discussion

Please treat this discussion forum with the same respect you would a public park. We, too, are a shared community resource — a place to share skills, knowledge and interests through ongoing conversation.

These are not hard and fast rules, merely aids to the human judgment of our community. Use these guidelines to keep this a clean, well-lighted place for civilized public discourse.

Be Agreeable, Even When You Disagree

You may wish to respond to something by disagreeing with it. That’s fine. But, remember to criticize ideas, not people . Please avoid:

• Name-calling.
  • Ad hominem attacks.
  • Responding to a post’s tone instead of its actual content.
  • Knee-jerk contradiction.

Instead, provide reasoned counter-arguments that improve the conversation.

Always Be Civil

Nothing sabotages a healthy conversation like rudeness:

• Be civil. Don’t post anything that a reasonable person would consider offensive, abusive, or hate speech.
  • Keep it clean. Don’t post anything obscene or sexually explicit.
  • Respect each other. Don’t harass or grief anyone, impersonate people, or expose their private information.
12 Likes

As I just got my 13" 2020 MBP for music production (and loving it), this ARM transition will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Time will tell if ARM is actually better for DSP and audio processing, but the part that bothers me is that there is now almost no motive to optimize for Intel processors (which is what I have).

But we all know the real answer: Use whatever you have until it impedes your artistic vision.
If you feel something truly is an obstacle, then consider changing your approach, or consider a change in general.

6 Likes

Yes - Really nice breakdown on ARM vs X86 and RISC vs CISC.

1 Like

I’m more of a LEG man myself.

7 Likes

:rofl:

1 Like

hopefully I can continue to keep my 2009 iMac running with duct tape and chewing gum until this transition occurs. I’ve been eyeballing an upgrade for a little while, but makes no sense now.

3 Likes

Also worth noting that Apple will likely also use their own alternative silicon as a means to pressure Intel into reducing their prices.

I’ve seen companies put work into integrating new silicon, purely to pressure their usual suppliers into reducing prices. I’ve been involved with those kinds of developments myself.

2 Likes

Does that apply to drivers too? OverBridge, audio interfaces, etc.