Apple goes to ARM

Hackintosh here too. The announcement from Tim Cook yesterday mentioned that new Intel-based macOS versions (Big Sur etc) will be around for years. As long as the hackintosh workarounds keep coming, we’ll should be ok for a while yet (still on High Sierra here though, so maybe I’ve missed some big problems with newer hacks)

I hope my Xeon chinese hackintosh can deliver for at least 5 years…

Note that Google and Microsoft are going in a similar direction with their devices. This is an interesting time for those of us in the tech business.

I have a bunch of firewire audio interfaces. The experience of this standard getting dropped from laptops and succeeding standards led me to stay with a (seemingly) safe standard now: USB. Seems like that one s sticking around and backwards compatibility is maintained.

4 Likes

I’m stuck in a rut. My 2013 mbp is dying and I need a new laptop

Been eyeing that upper tier 16’ mbp for the last few months and now I don’t know what to do… :man_facepalming:t2::weary:

2 Likes

I am in the same boat

Overbridge developers are not done yet. :no_mouth:

13 Likes

The Missing headphone Output is IMHO the worst thing ever.

10 Likes

i wonder what’ll happen to “third-party” software aka not in AppStore. besides, some big software may be developed not even in Xcode (like Ableton for example, my speculation, i don’t know 100%) so it’s gonna be pain in the ass to recompile it for ‘Apple Silicon’.
interesting to see if they decide to make it work on ipad also when they’ve done transitioning

1 Like

That doesn’t matter. As long as you use the Apple Clang compiler you’ll get their custom optimisations and support for their custom ARM chips that might not be available in other compilers. You don’t need to use Xcode to use the compiler.

4 Likes

They also have new mechanisms - the new build systems will build universal binaries, which will run on either architecture.

They also have Rosetta 2, which will binary translate on-the-fly.

Rosetta 2 might not be efficient enough for realtime audio applications, but it’ll be interesting to see how those mechanism work.

Not real-time … while installing

apple lost me on all the new laptops with their high price and hardware flaws (keyboards etc)

5 Likes

That was one of my first thoughts. This will add another platform to develop and test for.

My heart truly goes out to smaller companies who’s life will be made more difficult by this (in the short to mid-term at least - I guess in the longer run it might make it easier to develop one product that will work on both iOS and Mac)

1 Like

Ah - might be possible on-demand though? How about if you copy executable binary files from an Intel system?

they didn’t make it clear … since most apps are installed by copying … maybe they check everything for compatibility before it gets copied to /Applications

It’s a recompile if using standard macOS libraries. No big deal. Larger companies with their own UI libraries (ableton…) will have a little more work to do but it won’t be huge.

2 Likes

The PPC > intel switch was just fine. This will be fine too. Don’t switch until your specific use case and devices are covered. I’m pretty sure I’ll have to replace my motu 828x, but I think it’ll be a long time before I need to replace the hackintosh I just built. 3 years minimum.

2 Likes

At least, since they are saying they still have new Mac products using Intel in development as we speak.

This is a surprisingly great video explaining the history of processors and what it means for apple to be moving to ARM.

6 Likes