Apple goes to ARM

I am in the same boat

Overbridge developers are not done yet. :no_mouth:

13 Likes

The Missing headphone Output is IMHO the worst thing ever.

10 Likes

i wonder what’ll happen to “third-party” software aka not in AppStore. besides, some big software may be developed not even in Xcode (like Ableton for example, my speculation, i don’t know 100%) so it’s gonna be pain in the ass to recompile it for ‘Apple Silicon’.
interesting to see if they decide to make it work on ipad also when they’ve done transitioning

1 Like

That doesn’t matter. As long as you use the Apple Clang compiler you’ll get their custom optimisations and support for their custom ARM chips that might not be available in other compilers. You don’t need to use Xcode to use the compiler.

4 Likes

They also have new mechanisms - the new build systems will build universal binaries, which will run on either architecture.

They also have Rosetta 2, which will binary translate on-the-fly.

Rosetta 2 might not be efficient enough for realtime audio applications, but it’ll be interesting to see how those mechanism work.

Not real-time … while installing

apple lost me on all the new laptops with their high price and hardware flaws (keyboards etc)

5 Likes

That was one of my first thoughts. This will add another platform to develop and test for.

My heart truly goes out to smaller companies who’s life will be made more difficult by this (in the short to mid-term at least - I guess in the longer run it might make it easier to develop one product that will work on both iOS and Mac)

1 Like

Ah - might be possible on-demand though? How about if you copy executable binary files from an Intel system?

they didn’t make it clear … since most apps are installed by copying … maybe they check everything for compatibility before it gets copied to /Applications

It’s a recompile if using standard macOS libraries. No big deal. Larger companies with their own UI libraries (ableton…) will have a little more work to do but it won’t be huge.

2 Likes

The PPC > intel switch was just fine. This will be fine too. Don’t switch until your specific use case and devices are covered. I’m pretty sure I’ll have to replace my motu 828x, but I think it’ll be a long time before I need to replace the hackintosh I just built. 3 years minimum.

2 Likes

At least, since they are saying they still have new Mac products using Intel in development as we speak.

This is a surprisingly great video explaining the history of processors and what it means for apple to be moving to ARM.

6 Likes

A rewrite would be nice though :wink: I hope Ableton sees this as opportunity to improve the overall performance.

I knew this was coming for about 9 months or more. Easier just to use windows and not have to worry about it. The playing field between the two has been levelled quite a lot over the last 20 years. Though without any doubt Apple have the better MIDI/Audio out of the box.

If it’s going to bring strong advantages, great I’m all for it. I can’t help thinking this has at least in part something to do with Hackintoshes, so many people do that now.

I can’t imagine that this is true, there are probably 100 Hackintoshes for every million Macs sold at most. Even if it was 500 (no chance) for every million, still just a tiny tiny blip. They sell something like 15 million Macs every year, without even mentioning the iPhone and iPad products.

I’m sure it has everything to do with cross compatibility between products, and ultimately control over the chips they develop in order to stomp the competition. Just look at the latest crop of iPhones and iPads, no other product can even approach the performance of the top models. Custom.

Anyway, I’ve followed the Hackintosh scene for years and it seems like nothing but constant troubleshooting, broken sound, broken this and that, huge amounts of hassle. I’m sure some have had relatively smooth experiences but… even if you save a little bit of money, how much is your time worth over the long run, let’s say a 5 year period of your machine working properly for a little while, being broken by an update, waiting for someone in the community to engineer a solution, etc etc. Pain in the behind! Not much fun to have decently long stretches of your sound, wifi, etc not working properly.

11 Likes

Apple removing dependencies on external technologies and owning the whole supply chain and value stack is one of their few moves left to grow their business. There are lots of incidental benefits (like iOS apps on Mac, neater enclosure designs etc ), but this is mostly about control and increasing their share of their pie.

5 Likes

I don t buy that at all. If apple wanted to prevent that they would have a whole bunch of much cheaper and less complex methods to do that.

2 Likes