API TranZformer LX

Look at this thing. I know it’s only mono, but I’m getting this instead of the AH now. I’m hoping this thing will sound as good as I imagine overdriven by the kick of a Roland TR-09.

http://apiaudio.com/product.php?id=142

1 Like

Interesting. If it can give the same kind of qualities as over-driving their desks it’s a winner.

1 Like

There’s one for bass, and one for guitar; the EQs are the only difference between the two. I just love how transformers sound so much. If I buy this, I can’t buy the AH. I’m super close to pulling the trigger, but hesitant because the AH is dope too.

Don’t know what I think about AH so far. Need to try one first hand. Seems a little too good to be true on paper. 8 x stereo distortion circuits + filter for £600 is insanely cheap compared to the individual stereo units that people talk about normally turning to for master bus saturation/character etc. Wondering how nice each of the AH ‘distortions’ is individually and how they compare to what I already have and ITB distortion/saturation. Will try one at some point tho…

It’s nice that the AH is stereo, but I wonder how many of the distortion types I’d actually use. I seem to like the clean boost, and saturation the most. Also, I feel the modulation is over the top for my needs. I’d only really use the envelope, and it would be to mimic compression. Demos where the modulation goes out of control (high resonance, wild LFO) are where I lose interest.

seems like a cool little product. Besides the tone change from running through a transformer, you’ll also get great euphonic effects from the amazing 2520 discrete op amps Make sure it happily accepts line level sources without need of an external conversion box before you bite the bullet though. Also its about double the price of the AH per channel and lacks filtering and env/LFO/external control of any parameter. Transformers are great for subtle saturation and compression fx, but not as good for the more extreme overdrive/distortion fx. I’ve got the subtle side covered with lots of various transformer coupled outboard, but don’t have enough of a pallet of extreme drive colors, which is what the AH should provide. Looking forward to trying it out tomorrow at RobotSpeak

2 Likes

I ordered it. I’ll report back with my findings when it arrives, and I’ve had a chance to mess with it.

So it was that good huh? Like, you wanna keep this to yourselves? :pl:

One LX might be heading my way as well next year!

1 Like

I dig. I don’t even bother trying to keep secrets with regards to gear anymore. I always sound like me no matter what I use :wink:

Still have this one? How you liking the EQ & comp for ”synth music” use?

1 Like

I don’t have this one anymore, but I think it would be good for bass synth. The EQ on the LX has frequencies better suited for bass.

1 Like

I was thinking about a teebee in particular :loopy: Or arp, Boog D, SE-02, bass/lead type of things…

But I’ll have to wait until I get my stam audio 1073 clone, just to see if that sowter transformer already gives me the sound I’m looking for. Nonetheless, something about affordable API, got new GAS for this hehe

Anyone pick one up and play their synths and drums through one at this point? The RNDI Stereo recently came out, but this API has got some packed goods.

I do own the Analog Heat and lurrrve it… gawd why I can’t I just be satisfied with what I own all ready?

:grinning:quiet bumpy if anyone has any experience.