Anything else like the Analogue Four?

With analogue synthesis with a sequencer. Just looking for Analogue sound design with a sequencer in a box.

well, i suspect there’s nothing really comparable.

DSI Tetra has great engine, but only rudimental sequencer.
Novation Circuit Mono Station has great sequencer, but underpowered synth engine.

3 Likes

The Norand mono is, well, mono, but the sequencer is very capable and every parameter has its own LFO.

The polyend Medusa is nog for sale anymore I think, but it also had a very capable sequencer with parameter locks.

A bit more expensive van the A4, but the sequential pro 3 has a really complex sequencer.

4 Likes

The Moog Mother 32 has just sprung to mind.

Dreadbox Typhon for mono and a very different kind of (but sound design-oriented) sequencer.

1 Like

here’s a pretty good thread with lots of thoughts about the A4

1 Like

FLAME MAANDER SYNTHESIZER : A Wavetable Synth with Analog Filter bank.

ERICA SYNTHS BASSLINE DB-01 (Mono with a nice Seqencer)

DREADBOX TYPHON (Mono with a nice Seqencer)

SEQUENTIAL PRO 3

BEHRINGER DEEPMIND 12

MALEKKO MANTHER MONOSYNTH (Mono with a nice Seqencer)

ARTURIA MINIBRUTE 2S (Mono with a nice Seqencer)

KORG MINILOGUE AND MONOLOGUE

4 Likes

I don’t use my Analogue Four much anymore, replacing it in most instances with two very different devices.

Arturia MiniBrute 2S - Only one monophonic voice but lots of fun, good sequencer, and connects to my Eurorack with ease.

Roland MC-707 - But that is not analog! … True, but the VA puts out some great sounds and I never run out of polyphony. 8 channels and lot of polyphony make it the foundation of a lot of my creations. The 707 is my backline rhythm section, making the song sound good while the Elektron boxes stand in the spotlight and draw most of the attention.

1 Like

Motas 6, a paraphonic desktop synth, might be worth looking at. It has a pretty exceptional set of specs, including a pattern sequencer and arpeggiator, patch/parameter locking… and crazy stuff like 37 lfos and 37 egs(!).

1 Like

No

4 Likes

What are you directing that lonely “no” to?

I’d guess to the title of the post.

2 Likes

Still on second cup of coffee over here… yes, indeed, that makes much more sense.

1 Like

…i’ve used quite a lot analog synth…and what can i say…the a4 is the last one i will keep forever…nothing with on board seqeuencing can top it’s capabilties…no matter if it’s bass, drums and percussion, anything inbetween, totally orherworldy stuff or the whole pallette of truu analog classic sounds…all at once…anytime, with any next trig to come along…
anybody who feels to disagree on this, i can only say, they simply did’nt get into it, deep enough…
osc2’s open end feedback feed in combo with it’s alive and kicking/interchanging/breathing analog multi filters stays unique forever…especially when plocking comes into play…and once u know how to handle this option for ur personal needs, u never look for anything else again…
if u wanna go beyond THAT, there’s only one way out…and that’s go modular for real…
but for me, all modular magic is covered with the a4 already…

many users get tired of it at some point…and i can only encourage them to dig deeper…
it’s that thing with elektron instruments…so many points where u like to think, ok, i’ve seen it…and then u just switch ur perspective a little bit…break ur habits and workflow patterns with it and ooops…suddenly a next door to a totally different approach opens and ur sitting in front of a complete new instrument…

15 Likes

Just picked up an A4 and this post makes me very happy I did.

2 Likes

Anything else like the Analogue Four?

:thinking: I heard about an Analog Four MKII. Otherwise, I can’t see anything similar. :content:

My MKI is a keeper, could be replaced by an AK only…
Unique sound and sequencer, and with so powerfull soundlocks and multimap addition…what else ?

3 Likes

The A4 has no rival when it comes to the amount of control you have per-voice married to that sequencer. I traded it for a Peak chasing polyphony and I was a fool for doing it.

I can sequence the Peak with the Digitone, I can sample it and mangle it with the Digitakt, but it is not a suitable substitute for the unique things the A4 can do. Just get one and keep it forever, that’s my advice lol.

5 Likes

…aaaaand maybeee i have to mention this little side fact once again…

the a4 is such a complex and deep synth, that they came up with the idea of overbridge for the very first time…thinking, ooooof, it’s that versatile, we might better spent it some additional software helping hand to harvest it’s whole potential for real… :wink:

i really can’t think of any other machine, that can be that dead simple and that crazy complex at the same time…

2 Likes

The sound of the Mother 32 is fantastic, and it requires very little to dial in the classic moog sound.

But the sequencer is not that great. It requires some hard to remember key-combinations to dial in slides etc.

I know the roland sha-01 is only a virtual analog - but the sequencer is great, and the sound is nice as well. It’s limited compared to the A4, but it’s very quick to get some nice results.

Kind regards

Thomas

2 Likes

What about that 4 voice Vermona Perfourmer. It is obviously not got much of what the A4 has but it has four distinct mono voices that can if interact with each other or not.

Also, the Circuit Monostation–since it was mentioned–is probably one of my favorite monosynths of all time. For a monosynth i don’t find it all that basic. The way you can sequencer the two oscs, patch flip, a pretty decent mod matrix, filter overdrive, three flavors of distortion, sequencer records knob movements, modulation sequencer.

I’d honestly go as far to say the Monostation is about as close as you can get to a single voice A4. (I’m sure someone will prove me wrong but…)

3 Likes