Anyone using Preset-Maker?

Hey y’all,

I have a ton of Samples from Mars packs that I want to convert to MPC Live programs.
It’s a tedious job to do it manually so I was looking at this software:

There is no demo unfortunately. It’s $25 which isn’t bad but I was hoping someone had some experience with it they could share.

I realise this is an exceptionally late response, but I will say that for creating Ableton instruments in Sampler, this tool is excellent. And as a side note, so too is Kit Maker. I just ran the Essential WAV from Mars through Preset Maker, and it took roughly 30 seconds to process the sounds.

A quick admin note; this copies (not references) the files to your Ableton User Library, which means you’ll need the storage space free in advance. But it does it quickly and creates all the racks including mapping the samples across the keyboard in seconds.

Having run out all my Maschine expansions, it does make me question the unstructured nature of most other sample packs I own. For the most part, tuned multi-samples are not the norm, and most likely what you’ll get is single samples at specific notes (thinking mostly of Splice style packs here). For presets, you really need everything ideally tuned to C, and across a good few octaves. I’m sure other sample pack makers do this, but from scouriing my library, some Loopmasters/Loopcloud packs (but not all) do have this sort of output.

The main benefit of these 2 tools, aside from the speed of creating instruments, is the way it brings your library to the fore. Rather than having these samples buried in a pack on a hard drive, having them as instruments & drum racks brings them front & centre in your Ableton User Library (or into any compatible sampler you own.) In my experience, having stuff easily accessible (ie; not having to manually make the kits/instruments each time) makes a difference to how likely I am to use them. Until now, I’ve tended not to use Maschine expansions as they are somewhat buried when you install them. But now they’re right there in the library, which makes a big difference.

On the one hand, you could say these are expensive, given how you’ll have your packs processed in an hour or so with the right setup. But if you compare them to the price of buying either Maschine software, or even hardware, that’s a price worth paying to have playable sounds & kits available wherever you need them.