Anyone using a MIDI sequencer to control video?

I’d like to use MIDI output from my sequencer (DT) to trigger video. I’ve been trying to get something going in Reaper – I can get it to recognise the MIDI notes, and map them to jumps in the video, but it doesn’t get fired by the sequencer, only by manually pressing the button.

anyway, it seems like this should be possible in this day and age. Any suggestions?

1 Like

I use the Octatrack as a midi controller for resolume. I do use two laptops though, Ableton on one and Resolume on the other. I kept having midi connectivity issues when trying to run them both on the same system (such as it would just stop working on one of the softwares, I think some describe it as “midi stealing”). Not sure if that helps but midi controlling video is definitely doable :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I use my Octatrack to midi control values in lumen. Its a modular video synthesizer thats fully midi mappable. Cant recommend it enough. Its cool p-locking psychadelic visuals alongside my beats. Also I use my MPC for a few other midi tricks with it

3 Likes

Resolume is bad ass… wish i had more time to dig into it

1 Like

Beside as a mixer i’m also using Octatrack and Vezer to control Resolume.

Thanks for the suggestions. Resolume looks great but it’s pretty expensive and I won’t use 90% of it. Know of any cheaper solutions that run on PC?

Modul8 has a reasonably priced student license available, requires a valid student number

as i remember, Modul8 was the most responsive to incoming midi notes from a machinedrum playing a drum sequence… triggering png/jpg prepared images, the timing was flawless.

Modul8 is capable of much more but the other two apps just weren’t that responsive, or just not optimised to be quickly changing images at around 128bpm with occasional 16th note sequences.

I’ve started using Sensomusic Usine. Seems very responsive to the MIDI, maybe because it’s primarily a music app! Seems to be working well.

I really like Touchdesigner for this. It’s very powerful to VJ, create your own generative graphics or control lights through DMX.

it’s a bit more complicated to learn I think, but there’s a free non-commercial license with limited resolution to get started.

If you want hardware i believe the Roland V4 video mixer is the way to go.

2 Likes

two Korg Entrancers would be like two video hardware versions of Traktor without the mixer, then use the Edirol/Roland v4 mixer to mix the two sources.

2 Likes

Or even go fully eurorack modular.
https://www.lzxindustries.net/

1 Like

This can be setup to respond to MIDI.

2 Likes

i purchased GrandVJ pre-release on sale about ten years ago, love it, although that is a software. Responds easily enough to midi input from the Machinedrum pots or will also allow an Ableton realtime software link.

Has a Midi Learn mode for incoming midi data so connecting and mapping midi control channels to parameters is easy.

Also enjoy the original Arkaos software, also mappable to midi. The benefit of Arkaos is, there is a realtime video recorder for capturing quicktime movs in high quality from the data stream just before it leaves Arkaos and goes to the i/o section for display on the monitor.

GrandVJ may similarly be sampled but with a 3rd party free app called Syphon on Mac, another name on pc.

I’m hoping After Effects by Adobe will one day allow easy midi mapping to parameters, also a “real-time performance” mode lol. I don’t think they would implement that idea although it would be cool if possible.

1 Like

vpt7 looks interesting :slight_smile:
free and fabulous.

+1 for touchdesigner :smiley: it is extremely flexible and powerful. And fun to use. And it has a great community with a lot of active, helpful, friendly users.

It has a steeper learning curve for sure. But holy balls, when you get your head around it, you won’t look back.

IMHO ^^

2 Likes

ah yes and there is a free version touchdesigner … also, multi-platform, for mac also… very cool :slight_smile:
things were not always this way :smiley:

touchdesigner is next level with the modular creative interactive environment inventive kind of adventure as regards video, audiovisual

in fact i could imagine touchdesigner being used for holographic or immersive experience app/game design. virtual reality, augmented reality, already optimised in the way the program is programmed

Like the perfect Tinder date!

1 Like

I use an mpd 24/26, a beat step, and a korg nano control all to control different aspects of resolume. The beatstep is cool cause it I can set each pad as a video trigger and do the random thing. Usually very good results.

1 Like

I’ve settled on Hollyhock (99eu) and it’s working well so far. The video manipulation possibilities (FX etc) are very basic, but that’s OK. More important for me is that it responds very well to MIDI. Because it’s audio-focused, I can do some pretty cool things sending DT in and using at as a video sequencer as well as manipulating its audio through an audio-in.

Probably with touch designer you can create the rest of apps, so I would deff go for touchDesigner :slight_smile: