Anyone lost their bag during flight?

I just got to US from Korea and my bag in which there are my monomachine, machinedrum and octatrack got lost…
Anyone have similar experience?
What are the chances of getting it back?

It may depend on the airline, but my experience with travel in Asia is that the level of service is a level or two higher than in the US or Europe.

Be polite, be very apologetic / sad, and be patient. Also, duck into a restroom and make sure you have a clean shirt on and are otherwise well groomed. Appearances matter.

You didn’t ask but make sure your mask game is 150%. If anyone offers you a free mask take it and thank them!

Hopefully they’ll bring it back to u in a few days.

Rule N1 of low budget touring musicians- never put your instruments into baggage, hand luggage ONLY. Even if they return it, you won’t be able to play your gig. Baggage is only for clothes, power supplies, communication etc…

4 Likes

communication?

I try to bring that also with my hand luggage

2 Likes

Plus… I always try to use and ask organisers to book airlines which allow additional paid hand luggage.

Unfortunately I noticed since last 20 years that there are less and less companies who have this option… which is stupid and sad.

I remember how nice it was to fly somewhere with a guitar, little moog prodigy synth and mixer and a few groove boxes and smoke cigarettes, and planes were often empty so you can sleep with your stuff on the last row, and seems planes were bigger (like they put more seats in the same planes so there’s less space for legs ).

fkk them! :slight_smile: :slightly_smiling_face:

Hihihi… nice phone!)

commutation of course, auto corrector : )

Hi lyhraam😟
I travel always my elektron, with an handy
Bago…use elektronbagg, so easy To openfun or closedown equipement, when is breakup time…

I have to keep with me, when I use waterclosed, in train :smoking::safety_pin::roll_of_toilet_paper:

and sometimes fun, with control police fangirl who ask me : :sweat_smile::desert_island::wink::rooster::construction_worker_woman::amphora:
‘’ where do you from,and where you go for mix’’

Be cool and hold it, it will return to you for sure, if you listen obscurrobot recommendations

Dude

1 Like

…usually, luggage comes back to u…
but in rare case, it really got “lost”, make sure u can proove, what was inside…
since all airlines got insurance for cases like this…

but damn…if this gets to that level, they will only cover actual financial loss, which is, when it comes to a md and mnm a big big bummer of course…no chance for real replacement…

what’s the airline…?

hasn’t happened with overseas travel for me. but in my experience there’s a dedicated place near baggage claim to file a report that they’ve lost your luggage. typically it shows up within a day or two. I once had my bag lost on a two hour direct flight(!). the airport was a further two hours from my house. they drove the bag all the way to me the next day.

as others have said, it’s best to take delicate musical gear in your carry on, if possible. hopefully it’s in something rugged. likely it will turn up. just file a lost luggage report and contact them frequently until they give you answers.

1 Like

I don’t want to make anybody more anxious than needed … but I always found it pretty unsafe how luggage gets back to the people. I could pick any bag and just leave … nobody checks if it actually is your’s. Let’s hope that’s not the case but only fell off one of those conveyer belts.

1 Like

Yeah, my sister, by some miracle, saw a guy wheeling my suitcase out of the airport in Berlin while my brother in law and myself were searching for it. He didn’t intend to steal it, he was just an ass. But I would never dare check in luggage with expensive equipment, that stuff has to go in the carry on for me.

Saying that, I’ve never actually lost any luggage, it has always turned up, so I’m thinking OP will be good in the end.

2 Likes

right!?! what’s the deterrent to you not just grabbing some expensive looking luggage? purely the thought that the owner will see you do it and fight you? it’s anarchy.

thank you all for the replies

I did talk to luggage assistance near the baggage claim at the airport and they said they’ll contact me as soon as they find it but because it was never tagged in the first place, it might take a while.

I did try to take the bag as a carry on, and that’s what I did for the first flight, but during the layover, I had to get the checked bags back and then re-check the bags and when I did so, the crew member told me I could no longer take the instrument bag as a carry on because the second plane was a much smaller plane and had not enough room for all my bags as carry on (I was already carrying a large backpack and a pulsar23 case with me as carry on) so that’s when I had to check the instrument bags and that’s when it got lost.

It probably never even left the layover site in the first place and is stranded there with other un-tagged bags. Hopefully it’s just a matter of time till they find the bag that matches my description and send it over to me…

4 Likes

You only have to steal one bag full of dirty socks and recently used sex toys before you and the droogs look for easier pickings.

Yikes, this is not a good tale, I’d be losing my mind at this point! I hope you get it all back safe and sound man.

1 Like

I remember how nice it was to fly somewhere with a guitar, little moog prodigy synth and mixer and a few groove boxes and smoke cigarettes, and planes were often empty so you can sleep with your stuff on the last row, and seems planes were bigger (like they put more seats in the same planes so there’s less space for legs ).

Well, you just said it: planes were often empty, tickets were more expensive, less people flew and so there was more space for people paying for additional luggage.

That’s not the airlines game anymore, planes need to run as efficiently as possible, more passengers are flying so planes had to make space for more seats, with more cramped space. More people inside, more luggage, less space for additional baggage overhead.

To go back to how you liked we’d have to pay a lot more for tickets and/or fly more planes, both aren’t really efficient ways to run an airline :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I lost my luggage flying from London to Chicago in 1999. I made the connection in Atlanta, my bag didn’t.

I went to the help desk and reported it, providing my address 2 hours from the airport. About 24 hours late it arrived, unopened.

There’s always a possibility.

1 Like

Yes, I’ve been separated from my baggage a couple of times. All on domestic (US) flights. Fortunately, the baggage was delivered to the address I gave the airline, every single time.

I can imagine it would be more stressful if this happened to me on an international flight.

1 Like

My bag with Digitakt, 1010 Music Blackbox and a few other nice little things recently went missing on my flight from Madrid to London. Though a little scary, it DID finally turn up 4 days later on. In the past airlines would endeavour to get your bags out on the next flight, but that seems less so these days, but stay positive. It’s very unlikely it will go missing.

Just glad it never went missing the other way round as I set off for my live show in Madrid! That would have been messy and stressful.

Fingers crossed for you!

2 Likes