Anyone into Command Stations?

last week i bought MP-7 as a spare unit for my XL-7, and suddenly discovered that it has 2 ROMs installed, and the 2nd one is rare 5-bank XL-2.
imagine how happy i am :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

3 Likes

:stuck_out_tongue:

9 Likes

Fewer knobs, but bigger displays!

Found an MP-7 locally for a good price, but it’s missing the data wheel. I’ve seen the data wheels for sale online but for the rack mount units (planet earth, proteus 2000, etc) anybody know if that wheel will fit the command stations?

Also, I’m going to test before I buy. Anything in particular to look out for?

I’ve got an XL-7 (also with the MP-7 ROM).

Did a track recently entirely in the XL-7, was pleasantly surprised at how good it could sound with a bit of external compression!

really in love with this machine

4 Likes

same here have the 2 boxes purple and yellow! for some reason delete all the presets and songs.
really love the XL7 so deep and sounds amazing 4 layers! basslines, percussions a lot of things goes thru the patchcord section. real deep boxes.

1 Like

i understand you can put your samples on the special roms via de EMU Ultra Sampler series anyone made this?

and i leave here a link about Dave Rossum E-MU Mastermind and his ROSSUM Electro Music Modules

Technically possible to do with the correct chips; in reality; they are rarer then hens teeth; and even if you could find them; would cost a lot and possibly not worth the time/effort to do.

Same for the 128 voice upgrade for the Samplers. Allegedly there was meant to be an upgrade kit, to go from 64 voices to 128 voices; but afaik, never actually existed. So any “upgrades” was just a case of switching the motherboard.

I think they are the exact same part. But don’t quote me on that :slight_smile:

All the Proteus-2000 modules are the same apart from whether they are “Standard” (64 voice, Single midi, 2x out, 2 ROM slots) or “Turbo” (128 voice, Dual midi, 6x out, 4 ROM slots); and the front fascia of course.

2 Likes

I’m a big fan of the E-Mu synth/sampler engines. I’ve posted at length about them on here before I’m sure.

I’ve got a purple people eater overseas / in storage, a couple of Orbit-3’s, E-Synth Ultra and a pile of ROM’s. Do have to cull the herd a little bit there / sell some and Orbit-3 and some ROMs.

The Command Stations have some wicked features, but are let down in a couple of areas, as mentioned above.

The biggest thing missing is sampling. If only E-Mu had added that and couple of other small things; it would have been amazing. But they were just before the whole Creative Labs buy out etc.

Personally, I was always more a fan of the Yamaha RS7000 as a pure midi sequencer for my personal tastes.

Never all that big into Roland MC’s (neither here nor there) nor Akai MPC’s (my brain doesn’t gel with the track structure); Spectralis sounded amazing, but I was too old / not enough time to dedicate to it when they came around.

imho, no one really nailed the groovebox format, but that is ok…

4 Likes

So I picked this MP-7 up and I knew it was gonna be some work, but didnt realize it was this bad. Many of the buttons are non-responsive and it looks as if there has been liquid spilled that has made it’s way inside the unit. Tons of gunk around the potentiometer and dried liquid inside the ROM slots. Has a few switches missing and the volume knobs are most def. after market. The unit turns on and works so far, but I’d like to see if I can get some of it cleaned up. Any tips on cleaning these areas? Isopropyl Alcohol and cotton swap perhaps for PCB area and Deoxit for pots / switches? Master volume seems to be working at random when I twist, is there something inside to tighten this knob?

Here’s some photos of the damage.

I think I may have bit off more than I can chew.

Is the brown stuff rust or is it gunk? Has someone spilled a sugary drink?

1 Like

I believe it would be a sugary drink. The ROM in the slot is working like it should though. Not sure how to clean within the slots. I may just leave it as is.

I would probably take the board out, rinse it thoroughly with warm water, and let it dry well somewhere warm and well-ventilated. As long as you make sure it has dried completely and as long as there are no components that really shouldn’t get wet (such as displays, or components that aren’t sealed properly), you should be fine.

You obviously shouldn’t do this if you don’t feel comfortable with it.

2 Likes