Anyone here ever done any busking with electronic music?

Can some of you give me more experienced use of Bose S1 pro… i need a reliable sound for external electronic music
I think i would take it,but since i never eard one…
Thanks

It depends on the location where you play. Physics are physics and a small cabinet won’t give you massive bass (you should take care of the frequency range available on the S1 pro) especially outdoor where the sound get diffused.
It can also bounce, it’s tricky.

I’ve been extensively busking, earning my life with busking for +10 years and I’ve heard the S1 Pro as well as other systems but mostly with instruments.
What kind of genre? which kind of audience (passing by? an audience coming to see you?) Which location (city, countryside, open space, cobble stoned streets)?

I mean if you’re in Central London where busking is authorized, i don’t see no issue, Dub FX did it so can you.
Sound wise the S1 Pro is expensive for what it is. You pay much more for the fact it has a lithium battery.
Bose don’t communicate on the watts but with a 6’ speaker you can’t expect a big party.
The EQ is far from being flat (increased Bass and Highs, scooped mediums) and some people say there is a buzz on the instrument input.
I think it’s a good speaker for a lonely musician who wants to sing and play an instrument but i would definitely not use this for a DJ set. A french website describes it as being enough for 25 people audience or 40 listening carefully (!).

I did my last busking festivals this year with an RCF J8 (23kg, 12’ sub + satellite, announced at 1400W) and it’s not even enough sometimes as the sound vanishes fast in open spaces like a square.

2 Likes

I spent a couple summers busking beaches in Ireland and Spain. The key was to modify the Korg Sample to have a MIDI output, this allowed me to use it as a master and sync the looper to it, game on.

The setup was so fun, looping and jamming. Music heads were drawn to it, they noticed how relaxed I was looping, composing, enjoying the views. It was totally different to the times I covered The Beatles on an acoustic, attracted a different crowd.

Some people loved the electronic set up, some were indifferent. If someone isn’t singing their heart out some ppl won’t be enthralled. But sometimes the music was good, trippy guitar beat vibes filled the beach, and it led to beautiful moments and conversations. I’m not sure I’d do it with an elektron box, as I think ppl in general need the sound of ppl.

Korg Sample mod kit: “MIDIsample
https://www.usbtri.be/usbtribe_volca.html#sampleline

2 Likes

Thanks for precise explanation. I will take accourt of your experience.

Portability-wise being able to chuck Critter & Guitari instruments into a backpack is pretty nice.

I’ve always wanted to figure out what the most minimal setup I could craft that still slaps hard in the open air, I know people work with Pocket Operators in a small case with whatever FX devices and portable speakers.