Anyone have an SSL X Desk?

Pretty sure “Live” means Gigging bro

96 point patchbay? Overkill 48 will be fine, 24 even

In my defense I was drinking a lot of Guinness when I wrote this. You could gig with it but you will feel bad that it’s the last of the “Made in Oxford “ SSL gear.

1 Like

later

3 Likes

HOSA Cables brother? Seriously? to start sure…but why waste money, just buy semi-decent cables (research) to start!

It may not be at the top of the list for studio expenses, but at some point youll want to get at least halfway decent cabling to match the SSL’s quality

sorry not trying to argue. Im actually learning alot reading what you wrote here!!!

I still havnt added the X-Desk to my setup, still sitting on its side against the wall lol (+5 years later)

I know it’s 4 years ago but just seen this post….

I had a similar issue with my DB25 connectors at the back on my SSL SiX, in that one of the bottom connectors wouldn’t allow the cable to screw in, then subsequently came loose…

I had to take out the rear panel vertical card (62A051X1), which you can only remove by undoing all the jacks and XLR screws on the back.

It was a little fiddly but managed to get the board out and tighten the bolt. I’m not suggesting anyone open up their units, but I was out of my warranty and I couldn’t be arsed emailing SSL over this. The unit has been perfect since, and I got there in the end, but appreciate that this sort of issue should not be happening.

1 Like

Care to elaborate on what is wrong with HOSA cables ? Did you experience them breaking easily ?

2 Likes

No worries brother. I think a few months later I got the mogami cables as the upgrade. Definite bump in fidelity and noise reduction at higher levels.

1 Like

You should hook it up and run your stems through it and back into your DAW. You owe it to yourself to sound like a million bucks.

1 Like

8 line in, 8 line out, 8 cue in, master section is 8 in 8 out, 8 insert in, 8 insert out, then you gotta connect gear and audio interface. Depends on how you set thing up, but that’s 56 connections before you connect the computer interface and instruments.

2 Likes

Not at all, you get what you pay for though… cables are a whole other ballgame, ive just recently been learning more. Research!!

Even if you just get a pair or 2, get some nicer cables or make your own and save

ya your right voodoo, gotta make space and just start figuring it out.

btw, i recently found these mid-level Mogami Patch cables [1/4 TS]
2ft/3ft cables, didnt even know they existed. There pretty sexy, all black, solid casing etc. if your interested let me know an ill lookup where i ordered them from.

1 Like

Your right. I guess im just speaking for myself, and anyone else that only keeps 2 or 3 synths hooked up, and an 3-4 inserts ready easily. Im all set with having every patch patched …its so easy to move a few cables here an there when im feeling frisky

4 Likes

this.
You only get what you pay for in terms of sound quality up to a point - if it doesn’t sound wrong, it’s probably good and the rest is on marketing.

I’m of the opinion that most of the “what you pay for” should be pinned on the build quality you require - how you’re using/moving the cable and connector quality. Additionally once you’re using neutrik connectors, for example, you’re not going to get value for money from something more expensive.

1 Like

Dont know what your trying to say, if your using hosa have at it. I got a few hosa as extra for when i run out of mogami or redco etc.

aiming for the most accurate, invisible connection over here (anyone that buys a nice cable)

If you think its all the same…its just not, nothing is the same.

Also speakercables? what about mic cables, insert cables, patch cables etc etc.

100m reel of quality cable: Cables — Tagged "Cables: Cable Per Meter" — Studiocare

:heavy_plus_sign:

Some quality connectors: Connectors — Studiocare

:heavy_plus_sign:

A couple of pleasant evenings with a soldering iron and a glass of Merlot

🟰

A feeling of great satisfaction and a whole bundle of money saved (depending on the Merlot).

5 Likes

ahhh that’s what I’ve been doing wrong :man_facepalming:

If you’ve got an X Desk then you can’t have gone too far wrong.