Anyone else had issues with the new Octacard CF card shipped with Octatrack?

It had been a perfectly fine Kingston. Now it seems some off-brand garbage.

The exactly same thing happened yesterday for my black Octatrack Mk2 w/ 32 GB octacard (ordered in May). Unit is completely frozen upon start up with the octacard inserted (I never took it out). Currently waiting for Elektron support to reply, but I will nevertheless buy a new 64 GB card asap.

Did anyone have any luck saving their data from the corrupted Octacard? Needless to say that this is really frustrating as all the projects are likely lost…

It is clear that they include cheap CF card in the OT

Kind of a bummer that they don’t have a better CF card since it’s such a integral part of the whole thing. Not to mention the feeling people have after spending that much money only to have something go wrong. Seems like this is the norm with the choice in CF card manufacturer.

Makes me think people are better off to just by a used OT that has been through it’s paces and has a proper card, as mine came with a Sandisk Extreme Pro 64Gb card with like 160 Mb/per sec read/write speed. Thankfully I’ve never had any problem other than some of my audio files won’t read, but their likely the data files that get generated in the file system that I didn’t delete before copying all of my audio onto the card.

1 Like

Same has happened to me. Gutted that I have a bunch of not-backed-up work on there (I need to figure out a good backup workflow).

I’ll raise a ticket but not going to bother with a replacement octacard. For such an expensive machine it seems nuts that they’d cheap-out on such a critical part of the system.

I bought a new OT mk2 black edition and the included card is from sandisk now and so far so good :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Same, good quality Sandisk now.

2 Likes

I have the same Octacard and I have lots of issues. Samples randomly disappearing, not being able to acces the card from my Mac sometimes. I ordered a new card, but definitely going to contact Elektron as this seems to be a common issue.

I just lost a couple of hours of work because of it…

ps. mine is a Sandisk actually…

Same problem here😵‍💫

Never trust a free card.

I contacted Elektron and they did send over a new card (same SanDisk card). I haven’t tested it properly because I was working on a project on my own replacement that I bought, but will def try.

Haven’t had any problems with the replacement though, so definitely a card problem.

1 Like

I just bought a black MkII and it has a 32GB Octacard. Are the issues with those cards something of the past? Or are they still not very reliable?

For now i just used my old (trusty) 16Gb card that i had several years in my
MkI. But i’d like to sell that one together with my Mk1.

1 Like

Apparently potential problems, @Jeanne had parse error issues with a new card.

I didn’t have problems yet. I’ll probably sell my OT MKI with the 16GB, I also have a 64GB Extreme, SANDISC.

I want to try the 32GB for a while, eventually use it as backup later…

1 Like

There are different versions of the Octacard, apparently the Sandisk labelled ones are better (sandisk sticker on one side, octacard sticker on the other). I didn’t try though, I already bought my own replacement before I received Elektrons replacement.

My black mk2 has toasted 2 CF cards and occasionally locks up with a high pitched shrieking noise, and sometimes there’s the parse error too, hence it rarely gets used now. I feel like the mk1 is more stable though theoretically they should be the same.

3 Likes

Dammit now I have to use it, just because I mentioned I don’t use it much now!

1 Like

Apparently like my very recent one. I’d be curious to see other MKII ones…

That is to say ? Which cards ?

2 Likes

I just got a MKII with the same Elektron/Sandisk but was to scared to try it and started with a new Sandisk bought from the store.

1 Like

I will post a picture of mine tomorrow. I didn’t unpack it yet :grin:

1 Like

I had the factory card go bad and a kingston one too. Both were of questionable quality though.

Your card looks fine, the bad ones have the alien/egyptian pixel graphic on them iirc.

On a side note, not CF related but ive had some usb sticks go bad too, bought direct from Amazon but performance stinks of counterfeit cards, its possible my kingston CF was a fake too.

3 Likes

I hope so, it is written 800xPROFESSIONAL on it ! :smiley:

3 Likes