Anyma Phi

Well good luck with your sale! I only see one on reverb at the moment and not at a discount.

Mine is up for sale (from Belgium) - still brand new (not used due to renovation of my studio), since I preorderer Omega, but like some suggested: I might keep my Anyma as an FX unit.

Despite the multitimbral polyphonic Omega being in progress, the Phi is worth the price new, if your needs match. The new styling in black is nice.

If someone expects to see a surplus on the used market cheap when the Omega ships, that might not happen. Their wasn’t a ton of APs sold in the first place and then what is the overlap with AO buyers ?

I agree with ronaldroy, the editor is excellent. But my VL70m ( with turbo ROMs ) stays in the box. My Phi is the goto now.

1 Like

As far as the effects unit use case, most of the processing is on the effects bus and it’s got a lot of more exotic processing things than most pedals. Although it can do stereo processing, it’s going to be a fair bit easier to have stuff collapsed to Mono most of the time.

As far as the VL70m sort of use case, that’s a bit dependent on what you like most about that.

If it’s the more standard acoustic sounds, you’d probably want a DynaSample Xpresso or something like that.

If it’s the more exotic physical modeled sounds, then the Phi or something like Respiro on the computer would be options.

I think the VL70m would have had no rival when it came out but now there are other options and I got rid of it after deciding the alternatives were more to my liking.

1 Like

I just skimmed the manual and maybe I missed it but can you save effects setting for easy recall?

I’m not quite sure what you are asking but the whole chain is stored with the patch.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/aodyo-anyma-phi/anyma-omega-polyphonic-physical-modelling-synthesizer

If you scroll down to the sound cloud links under the Additional Sound Demos, the background are the whole chain for that sound and you can see the Main/Aux bus where the effects live.

Yes, the only thing you save is a patch. That might be based on audio inputs -> effects or oscillators -> effects or a mix of both.

Effects encompassing VCA, VCF (several varieties) resonators, ring mod, reverb and delay … off the top of my head. All modulated by LFOs, envelopes, audio-detected triggers, maths modules …

2 Likes

I really like the overall sound of the Phi, it’s great. Not better than the VL70 necessarily, but different. Let’s say better in some ways. But I feel a bit of … latency / slow response when I play with the EWI. Admittedly, I haven’t programmed in depth and it might be something I can “patch” around, but it bothers me as is. Anyone else noticed this?

By the way, are there any good breath control patches floating round?

I haven’t really noticed latency on the Phi but I did notice some on the VL70m when I had it.

I think Mark Steiner was the only one I’ve seen make breath controller oriented patches but I haven’t tried them.

You can also just randomize the patches and most come out breath responsive in some fashion.

Here’s the demo video, didn’t have it handy:

He’s got some other videos with the Phi as well.

1 Like

Yeh, I saw that a while ago, but didn’t see anywhere to buy or download. Not sure I would purchase then anyway tbh as they didn’t really grab me but I’ll have another / closer listen.

The new style/colour Phi has been announced

Aodyo Instruments is glad to announce the availability of the Anyma Phi Special Edition, with a black front panel design recalling the new Anyma Omega.

1 Like

What a rollercoaster of discovery this has been for me!

I waited decades to see a decent hardware physical modeling synth. And now that it’s arrived it lacks the model I was mostly after (Brass). To call it frustrating would be an understatement, but what makes it even harder to swallow is that reading this thread suggests that an “Advanced Brass Model” was actually planned, as was a comb filter.

That would be perfect, but without those I’m afraid the Anyma Phi is sadly not for me.

I’m new to this product and only found out about it the other day, so I’m very likely unaware of developments, but if there are any plans to add these in a firmware update, please let me know and I’ll buy without hesitation.

I’m not so interested in those new models. I actually prefer the Phi form factor since I’m quite ok with the way the menu system is designed, and I would only design sounds with the intent to sample from it anyway, so polyphony is not an issue for me.

Lack of a proper brass model and comb filter though, those are defnitely issues in a physical modeling synth such as this. They are for me anyway, so I really hope they add that stuff to it.

Hey, in-case you hadn’t seen they have a new model in development - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/aodyo-anyma-phi/anyma-omega-polyphonic-physical-modelling-synthesizer. Brass model and comb-filter are mentioned, not sure of the specifics.

1 Like

I agree with you bud. When you start to get something interesting, as in, you mix several physmod models for example (it’s what makes this synth interesting after all), you hit the fricking CPU limit !!! Why even bother ?

I keep it because I like the windsynth models, but otherwise, it’s too frustrating.

Regarding using it as an effects box which is part of the appeal of buying one I read this less than favorable review of the effects on this blog which wasn’t very flattering. What are people’s opinion on this? Have the effects been improved at all since it was released or are were they not so bad to begin with? If anyone has a video that focuses on the effects to share please let me know as I haven’t managed to find one that goes too deep…

http://www.brokengadget.org/

Brass model and comb filter are indeed part of the Anyma roadmap.
More about the Brass very soon …

5 Likes

Aodyo is showing at Synthfest France.
See postings on that show coming up in the Show of Shows Thread.

That’s really very good to hear, thanks for the heads-up!

Having a brass model and comb filter on the Phi will really open-up possibilities in ways imaginable and unimaginable. For me it’s the best news ever to hear this stuff is coming to the Phi. It makes all the difference on a synth like this and I cannot wait to get my hands on one!

Only interested in the Phi form factor personally, but great to see this stuff being developed!

I understand the frustration, but how many models are you mixing to do that?

I don’t have one at the moment but the module list alone tells me that it’s an insanely powerful effects processor, one that’s capable of truly otherworldly effects processing. Ultimately (other than CPU) the only limit has got to be the user’s imagination and understanding of module interaction.

Looking forward to that and maybe that’s what Hurolura was referring to by “very soon”.

I don’t know if we’ve got official confirmation of this, but it would be surprising if these weren’t made available for both devices, given how they’ve talked about them.