Anyma Phi

What a rollercoaster of discovery this has been for me!

I waited decades to see a decent hardware physical modeling synth. And now that it’s arrived it lacks the model I was mostly after (Brass). To call it frustrating would be an understatement, but what makes it even harder to swallow is that reading this thread suggests that an “Advanced Brass Model” was actually planned, as was a comb filter.

That would be perfect, but without those I’m afraid the Anyma Phi is sadly not for me.

I’m new to this product and only found out about it the other day, so I’m very likely unaware of developments, but if there are any plans to add these in a firmware update, please let me know and I’ll buy without hesitation.

I’m not so interested in those new models. I actually prefer the Phi form factor since I’m quite ok with the way the menu system is designed, and I would only design sounds with the intent to sample from it anyway, so polyphony is not an issue for me.

Lack of a proper brass model and comb filter though, those are defnitely issues in a physical modeling synth such as this. They are for me anyway, so I really hope they add that stuff to it.

Hey, in-case you hadn’t seen they have a new model in development - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/aodyo-anyma-phi/anyma-omega-polyphonic-physical-modelling-synthesizer. Brass model and comb-filter are mentioned, not sure of the specifics.

1 Like

I agree with you bud. When you start to get something interesting, as in, you mix several physmod models for example (it’s what makes this synth interesting after all), you hit the fricking CPU limit !!! Why even bother ?

I keep it because I like the windsynth models, but otherwise, it’s too frustrating.

Regarding using it as an effects box which is part of the appeal of buying one I read this less than favorable review of the effects on this blog which wasn’t very flattering. What are people’s opinion on this? Have the effects been improved at all since it was released or are were they not so bad to begin with? If anyone has a video that focuses on the effects to share please let me know as I haven’t managed to find one that goes too deep…

http://www.brokengadget.org/

Brass model and comb filter are indeed part of the Anyma roadmap.
More about the Brass very soon …

5 Likes

Aodyo is showing at Synthfest France.
See postings on that show coming up in the Show of Shows Thread.

That’s really very good to hear, thanks for the heads-up!

Having a brass model and comb filter on the Phi will really open-up possibilities in ways imaginable and unimaginable. For me it’s the best news ever to hear this stuff is coming to the Phi. It makes all the difference on a synth like this and I cannot wait to get my hands on one!

Only interested in the Phi form factor personally, but great to see this stuff being developed!

I understand the frustration, but how many models are you mixing to do that?

I don’t have one at the moment but the module list alone tells me that it’s an insanely powerful effects processor, one that’s capable of truly otherworldly effects processing. Ultimately (other than CPU) the only limit has got to be the user’s imagination and understanding of module interaction.

Looking forward to that and maybe that’s what Hurolura was referring to by “very soon”.

I don’t know if we’ve got official confirmation of this, but it would be surprising if these weren’t made available for both devices, given how they’ve talked about them.

I thought/hope he was talking about the Phi, but you got me wondering now.

He never mentioned the Phi specifically, but it was in reply to me and I was discussing this in a Phi thread. He referred to the “Anyma Roadmap” so hopefully he’s referring to all devices that fall under the Anyma series of synths (which of course the Phi does).

By the way, do you have links to where they talked about the Brass model?

I don’t have the links, but I do have the new, just emailed demo: Stream Anyma Omega Trumpet sections by Aodyo Instruments | Listen online for free on SoundCloud

1 Like

Thanks for the link although it does state “Omega” and it makes me wonder why if it were for all Anyma series, because it would be exactly the same on the Phi.

I’ll just have to wait and see what happens. I want the Phi, in fact I might buy multiple but only if they’re treating all Anyma series synths to the same sound generating models etc. I suppose they would do that anyway, but I need to be sure before I buy.

I really like that ‘Cathmandu sitar speech’ patch by the way. Sounds right up my street that does, like it belongs on some vintage detective show soundtrack or something!

Anyma Phi got a big firmware update right before the news about the omega broke. (Nov 3rd - Oct 28th)

That seems to me highly suggestive that there’s a shared core of code between the two (either it was extended for the omega, and back-ported to the Phi, or, even better, development may be Phi-first ?)

1 Like

Would definitely make sense to develop for the Phi first since it guarantees it would run on the Omega too. Not so if they do it the other way around due to the difference in CPU power.

@Hurolura, Not wanting to push my luck here, but is there any chance you could explain the plan regards updates? Can we assume that any update made available for the Anyma series of synthesizers will also include the Phi?

I’m assuming that’s the idea but I don’t know for sure.

Just wait a couple days.

It’s going to be OK.

1 Like

@Helland That’s indeed the idea, at least regarding the synth modules (you wouldn’t get Omega specific features like advanced sequencer and multi-part or anything using specific hardware part of the Omega). We would like to keep compatibility and patch exchange among all models.

2 Likes

Thanks again for the heads-up, that’s great to hear :sunglasses:

I’ll be buying a Phi very soon and possibly more later on. I’m so pleased to see a company doing physical modeling synthesizers. It’s the ultimate form of synthesis IMHO.

I bought a brand new Korg Z1 back in the day. And although it was a bit more interesting than everything else available at the time, it wasn’t quite what I was expecting.

Just one read through the Phi user manual though and that is what I was expecting. I could never get bored with that lot or anything the future holds for these Anyma series synths!

Anyma Phi will be the best synth I’ve ever owned, I know that before I even buy it :yum:

Squeak :grin:

Sorry, I was just thinking out loud because squeak is a good model to have in physical modeling. Think of a huge, creaking old wooden door being closed slowly and eventually coming to a halt, or some rusty old iron swings out in the park, swaying in the wind.

A Squeak model would handle that and it’s similar to other modules in some respects since it involves friction, and it’s cool to feed other modules, it’s capable of some seriously eerie stuff when fed into resonators for example.

1 Like

You could probably synthesise that from they available modules anyway though, couldn’t you ? Caveat: I have never tried.

1 Like

Not necessarily. It depends on what is intended mathematically.

1 Like