Anybody using Behringer ADA8200 via ADAT for extra inputs?

Can this one be used as an ADAT expander? I’m looking it expand my 18i8 to have more inputs and was looking for used ADA8000s but if there are other cheap options I’m interested!

Yep, that’s exactly what I bought mine for :slight_smile:
The M-Audio Profire 2626 is an option too as long as you have access to an old enough computer to do the one time setup of switching it to standalone ADAT mode.

It’s cheaper and if you’re going to rack mount it (like I’m doing) all of your inputs and outputs are on the back. Makes the wiring cleaner by having it behind the unit.

I’m using 3 different interfaces from 3 different brands as ADAT expanders for my Presonus Quantum interfaces.

It was cheaper. I got each of mine for between $115 to $70.
3 ADAT expanders for less than the cost of one new ADA8200

2 Likes

Can you set up the MOTU without a computer?

This link https://motu.com/techsupport/technotes/using-a-motu-audio-interface-as-a-standalone-a-d-or-d-a-converter talks about connecting it and setting up some stuff first, which would be a problem for me as I don’t have a FireWire cable.

I don’t think you can unfortunately. Once it’s set up though you don’t need to change it again. It’s the only part that makes using an old interface over a dedicated AD-DA more difficult.

Ah cool, guess I’ll stick to the Behringers for now then! Thanks for the info!

MOTU 8pre.

Can be run standalone and without computer setup.

8pre, yes… Traveler MK1… I think so…

I seem to remember setting my Traveler MK1 up as a standalone converter without a computer. It was a real pain to do so though, but I remember it being possible.
Anyway, I eventually just broke down and set it up on the computer, thanks to a TB to Firewire converter a friend loaned me.

It may have just been the MK3 that absolutely required the computer, due to its heavier reliance on the CueMix application.

2 Likes

Thanks Adam! I actually just got an ADA8000 for a reasonable price on eBay so don’t need to worry about it but appreciate the info.

Off topic, are you the same Adam Jay who did a split EP with Mike Parker? Noticed it in my discogs wantlist the other day and thought I recognised the name :slight_smile:

1 Like

It was 18 years ago, but yea that’s me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hehe nice! Been going through a bit of a Mike Parker phase lately. Shall check out your work!

I made this AB comparison for a forum member on here who’s trying to decide on how to expand his interface via ADAT.

Since there’s a lot of (strong) opinions on the sound quality of the Beheringer ADA8200, I thought I’d do this for those who are trying to decide whether the ADA8200 is “enough” for them, sound wise.

So here we have an A4, AS1 and OT sent directly through a UAD Apollo 8 (BF) and a Behringer ADA8200 respectively (clocked via the Apollo).

Loudness should be equal for each comparison set. No processing whatsoever on any of the files.

Can you hear a difference? Which one do you prefer? I’ll let everyone know which is which in a short while :slight_smile:

Here it goes:

PS: @mods - I’ve (also) posted this in here so that it can be found in future searches of the Behringer ADA8200.

EDIT: So, here’s the “reveal”:

Device A was always the Apollo 8
Device B was always the Behringer ADA8200

3 Likes

thanks for doing this. gonna check on my focals a bit later!
need to add inputs to the twin quad and after a long time of being certain i won’t get the behringer, i’ve recently bought a bunch of other shit, the cumulative costs of which have put it back in my sights for the task :slight_smile:

1 Like

nice one hausland :+1:

I have two ada8200 hooked up to my rme interface and I cant hear a difference with which I recorded. could be a good thing for the interfaces or a bad thing for my ears.

oh, and no one that has heard my music so far said something like “that synth sound sounds like it was recorded through a cheaper interface… how could you? song suxx!!!” :yum:

4 Likes

This. This is ultimately the point, right? I think I’m going to get one of these things and call it a day until i can afford an Apollo X8. though by that time, with my other stuff i “need”, i’ll probably be looking at an x16 :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Did you listen to the AB? Do you hear any differences? Genuinely curious also for my own sake :slight_smile:

I use it with my umc1820. Works like a charm. sounds great.

Thanks for doing this! I’ll play.

Through my Babyface and HD600 I think Device A did a better job. Better definition and clarity.

1 Like

Damn, this is some crucial information here. Thanks for saving me a big drawn out headache!

1 Like

I’ve been dying to add some kind of ADAT interface to my Focusrite scarlet but I don’t really understand, how many more inputs could theoretically be added?

In a perfect world I would avoid an external mixer all together, have all the hardware running directly into inputs in the audio interface and ADAT expansion but as far as I understand you can’t chain them right? If my audio interface has 8 inputs and I add another 8 via ADAT even though it’s 16 inputs it’s only 8 stereo inputs…I don’t know I just hate having an external mixer and running most of my gear into one pair of stereo inputs it sets a lot of limits as to what I can do in the mixer in a DAW and my particular mixer has awful ground hum that I’m constantly having to EQ out in post.

Sorry not trying to hijacker the post just figured since we’re on the subject I’d ask.

A perfectly functional device for adding 8 extra inputs.
Def worth buying

1 Like

Depends on your audio interface. If you have ADAT it’s usually at least 8 inputs and sometimes up to 16 @ 44.1/48 and some allow higher sample rates by halfing the I/O via SMUX.

My Presonus Quantum has 16 ADAT inputs and outputs. So it could take two ADA8200’s.
I actually have a Ferrofish Pulse 16 for it though, which gives me 16 I/O in addition to the built in I/O.

Reminds me that I still need to sell all of my Previous ADAT expanders (ADA8200, 2626, etc…).

2 Likes