Anybody Scratch?

Link to the video

DJ SARA ★ Freestyle Scratch with djay Pro and Reloop Beatpad 2 (youtube.com)

Invisbl Skratch Piklz

1 Like

Just remember that’s a promo video and she makes it look easy :wink:

I found in the beginning practicing plattter movement and fader cutting separately helped. Work and getting a rhythm with each hand then start to combine.

Good luck, I’ve been djing for almost 30 years and still think my scratches are shit lol

1 Like

I’ve wanted to learn since the 90s but was too intimidated.

The part with Shadow is especially moving but anyone opening this thread should have watched this:

Mix master Mike :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

I scratch. Actually, I recently decided to get back into DJing again after a long hiatus. Here’s a thread I created a really long time ago.

4 Likes

Nice man. Gonna take me a year till I can do 1/8th of that. The major difficulty I’m having is with the fader. I just bought a practice fader that is coming this week, so I can at least get better since I have 8 hours a day at work to practice.

I used to think the fader was most important, but if I could start over, I’d strongly consider using my dominate hand on the record. All the emotion and funk comes from the record hand.

3 Likes

Same, I was obsessed with mastering crabs and rapid fader cutting but my record movement was always really basic and lacked groove

Well the good thing for me is I got rhythm in my head. I just can’t get it to come out of my hands at the moment. I’m using my dominant hand on the fader. I just can’t seem to do sh*t with my left hand on the fader.

I used to scratch back in the 90s. qbert n the skratch picklz were un fukn real back then. mind blowing.
i was very much influenced by the coldcut journeys by dj / Portishead style stuff tho. slower, throwing in bits that harmonically enhance the tune and whot not.
id be rusty af now.

fun fact: I once left my vestax mixer on the roof of my car n drove off. it went flyin off at like 50mph n survived. had a few battle scars n a cheeky bit of ground hum from the on

12 Likes

I used to be really into scratching. Turntables and mixer are packed up (to make way for a synth I never use :nerd_face:) but I can’t imagine parting with them. Agree with @Prints on the dominant hand on the record. You also might feel better with the fader in ‘hamster’ (aka reverse) mode. I found switching to hamster improved my chirps loads, but also ruined my transforms :joy: But generally it made more sense to my mind/coordination.

It is so hard to get good and funky. Let alone beat juggling and being able to cut both sides :exploding_head: So much respect for people that can do that.

There’s some free videos on youtube from the beat junkies that are really good for following along. I’ll find and post them up later.

2 Likes

I scratch - have done since the 90s - and got to the kind of standard that makes you realise that only a relatively small pool of people are actually better than you but that you’ll never reach that level and also never be completely happy with your own scratching as a result

I feel like most instruments carry this element of being impressive or enjoyable for people who can’t do it. Not so for scratching

4 Likes

For whatever it’s worth, I did this last year (I think). Took me way too long to film and edit together the actual beat which meant I’d grown sick of it by the time I got to the cuts so keep expectations low and plan for disappointment

8 Likes

Love it

1 Like

I did in the 2000s but wish I spent the money instead on buying a mpc or sp ahhahaa

1 Like

Oh yeah for me one thing I never got and never liked is beat juggling, it sounds like noise to me.

Ima have to google that :smiley:

Not sure if helpful @JoeHacken, but I thought these videos are good. Follow along Q&A stuff. They go advanced but there’s faderless stuff at the beginning too:

Summary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsSBmnzq6FA&list=PLfIuXCuM7y31xgZC1c-TulixwP2M8-LFs&index=26&pp=gAQBiAQB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nim_LfsV2dE&list=PLAAYVgXqY5b2gs8oT0QDA0FyH0bZTEKyh&index=91&pp=iAQB

That jam’s a beaut @PeteSasqwax!
You are a demon on the cut @Prints, wow!

No idea if uploading a video will work but this was me about 11 years ago, about third renaissance of getting into scratching again. It’s not great and I can tell I’m just doing (or trying to do!) techniques one after the other really.

5 Likes

I remember spendinhg the summer trying to learn the crab scratch. This was the days before youtube though.

Also remember seeing Kentaro and he flipped my mind

2 Likes