Anybody else rock a Boss DR-202?

I love this thing. A funk machine. Very dirty–sounds like something straight off a Memphis rap mixtape from the 90s. Drum and Bass and Jungle sounds too. Sometimes I sequence my Bass Station 2 with it and the combo is just house rocking gutter magic.

2 Likes
5 Likes

I don’t have one myself, but if I found one in good shape for a decent price I would. I played with one a bit back in the 90s. I think it sounds great… That Bad Gear episode might have made me like it even more :grin:

I wonder if there’s a decent DR-202 sample pack out there

It was my first drum machine. I wish I still had it.

I don’t think a sample pack would quite cut it. A lot of the magic comes from the weird/over the top effects and eq, the real-time tweaks that can be recorded to sequences, the huge variety of rolls, and the “rhythm templates” that can be applied to any beat.

They used to be around $100-150 a couple years ago.

2 Likes

I’ve got one and it’s deffo got a sound of irs own, in a good way

I think of Umfang as the Jeff Mills of the 202. As far as I know it’s been her main hardware drum machine on all her records.

2 Likes

JAN LINTON used it on everything, including the one with Barbieri out of Porcupine Tree. Its on Youtube, “Sequential Sakura”- you can spot the Boss DR202 drums a mile off… Some Berlin snobs might turn their nose up at it, but its got its own charm…and it rocks here

1 Like

I have one in a cupboard with bad battery leak - the previous owner left a load of AAs in there. I have a replacement for the chip most damaged (DRAM) so hopefully a swap and some fancy wirin’ will fix it.

1 Like

Used to have one. Was interesting as an external sequencer too.

1 Like